What's new

Newforms - Best speakers for front projector/ large screen IMHO (1 Viewer)

Amir

Agent
Music is my first priority, but I do enjoy HT. I have a sony 10HT and 8' wide screen. The top of the screen is over 6' tall. I have Studio 60's front 20's back and cc for center. The voices have always been a distraction since they seem to be coming from below (where center channel was located) - I sit about 11' from the screen. I decided to audition the Newfrom 645 speakers mainly because I have always be partial to line source and for their musical performance- column of sound - for music the 645 are much more detail and more clear than the Paradigms, the sweet spot is huge, the sound staging is excellent. But the surprise was for HT. These speakers are 6'4" tall about the height of my screen. I disconnected the center speaker and every thing came together. The height and position of the voices were perfect. I did not noticed any problems with the rear 20's - it just sounded great - The 645's fill the room with sound and the sound stage is so huge that no matter where you sit it sounds great. I was really astonished by the performance of these speakers since HT was not that much of a concern except for the fact that I was afraid there would be a problem with rear speakers and not using the center. If you are in the market give these a try.

Regards

Amir

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
When off center, you will not have anchored dialogue without a center channel. Thus, until Newform can figure out how to integrate a center, they are a non-starter for me.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You have a setup no too dissimilar from mine. I am moving this to Speakers/Subwoofers.

Could it be that your centre was not angled upwards to match your ear level while seated? I am in the process of moving my HT. In the current setup, my current screen is 7ft at the top so I have the centre speaker mounted below the screen on a 12" stand. After I move, I will put the rack at the front (a wide, 2 level one) and put the CC on top of it. I will still have to aim it upwards though at ear level while seated.

Amir

Agent
No matter how much you tilt the center speaker the sound still originates from the bottom of the screen and since it is full range it is directional. Sitting back 10' to 12' from the screen anywhere in front on screen without the center speaker the sound with the Newforms are perfect and appear coming from the exact position on the screen. I was one those who thought I could not do it with out the center either but I tried it on a whim and I was surprised. The Newforms have a such a wide sweetspot and sound staging that sitting all the way to the side of the screen the dialogue seemed perfect.

Neil,
I didn't think that it is a good Idea to put large objects (rack) between the speakers - for music.
Regards

Amir

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks