newer JVC dvd players vs XVSA75GD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

after i was 99% sure i was getting the new JVC progressive scan player for $179 S500BK, i saw the older XVSA75GD model on clearance for $160. It seems to have everything the 500BK has, except it also has DVD-Audio decoding (although i hear it's only available through analog outputs? what's up with this?)

anyway, i hear that there were some quirks with the JVC progressive scan players and the newer models might address this. Is the video quality of the 75GD the same as the 500BK? Does it do scaling? I might take it back if the dvd-audio is only 'quasi' dvd-audio, and if it doesn't do he scaling and has a lot more flagging problem spots than the newer one....

i am waiting to open up the box...i think i might have made a mistake....

thanks!

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I can't compare these in detail, but no DVD-Audio (or SACD) player these days has anything other than analog for the DVD-Audio (or SACD) output, due to legal restrictions related to copy protection. So, this is not a defect of the player. You might also want to check out whether the player plays CD-Rs and CR-RWs. My JVC XV-D723GD does not.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The 70BK/75GD does play CD-R, CD-RW and MP3. DVD-A is very good. All of the current progressive JVC's scale. I've used the 70BK for 6 months now and am very happy.

4. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i am completely new to DVD-A, but when 5.1 DVD-A discs come out, how are those of us with DVD-A players with analog-only DVD-A going to benefit?

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

DVD-Audio players that can play 5.1 are out, and they have 6 analog audio outs, one for each channel. They plug into receivers (or pre/pros) that have matching audio ins. I'm not sure, but I think that multichannel (> 2) was present in DVD-Audio from the beginning. Not so for SACD, which started out stereo only.