What's new

Newer Godzilla films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any kind of update on whether Columbia Tristar will be releasing the newer Godzilla films such as Godzilla vs. Megaguirus or GMK on dvd in the U.S. anytime soon?

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
There are Region 3 Hong Kong discs available with English subs. The quality is pretty decent but all you get is the movie only.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently Columbia is still working with Toho on getting some kind of release for GXM and GMK. And they won't necessarily be dubbed only. G2000 was supposed to have the Japanese language track in addition to the English dubbed track (and believe it or not, Toho would have actually allowed that) but supposedly they couldn't get the needed elements together in time, in order to keep the scheduled release date of the disc (I wish they just would have postponed the release, it would have been worth it).

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I've heard this as well. In fact, I think it was announced by the theatrical english dub and DVD producer (Mike Schlesinger, I believe) that this would be the case.

Toho "couldn't get the needed elements together in time?" I ain't buying it. Just postpone the release date (like this never happens) for as long as it takes to slap some subtitles on the japanese transfer.

There has never been, to the best of my knowledge, an english subbed, OSL release by Toho of their kaiju or SF films on any format. Will that change for the release of these 2 films? I don't see it happening.

For what it's worth though, I hope I'm wrong! :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Columbia is still working with Toho on getting some kind of release for GXM and GMK. And they won't necessarily be dubbed only. G2000 was supposed to have the Japanese language track in addition to the English dubbed track (and believe it or not, Toho would have actually allowed that)
It IS all about the money. Last I heard Sony is trying to work on some deal for rights to the whole Godzilla package, OSL included. I'm sure if they dangle enough cash in front of Toho, and considering how long the original has been out in Japan that they will bend eventually

Originally the Japanese version was supposed to be on the flipside of G2K because the US version is cut and has scenes moved around.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Would be cool. The way Toho goes after bootleggers you
gotta' think they've got plans for these here in R1 land.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
But it would have to have nonremovable subtitles and be priced at a level so high that it wouldn't pay to parallel import from the US to Japan....and how many discs would they sell in the US at that price point? I don't see the economics working. I think we'll see the DVDs of Harold Lloyd's features before we see a Region 1 OSL Godzilla.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
There has never been, to the best of my knowledge, an english subbed, OSL release by Toho of their kaiju or SF films on any format.
As far as North American releases go anyway, you are correct.

Yes I agree that there are 2 things that Toho are concerned about:
1. Money (Toho has always wanted obscene amounts of money for the rights of any of their kaiju)

2. Parallel imports (they don't want to ruin their Japanese market where they can charge high prices for their DVDs, especially the newest Godzilla films).

At least Daiei is more reasonable to deal with, so we can get nice Gamera releases here (or at least import subbed R2 discs).

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yeah, if we thought Universal's classic horror DVDs were a little pricey, we ain't seen nothing until Toho starts selling R1 classic kaiju stuff widescreen and in OSL...!

I've actually wondered, the extent to which Toho has gone after R1 bootleggers, maybe they were trying to create anticipation/demand for these here in the west. I mean, the R1 boots ain't exactly competing with Toho's (non-existent) R1 product. But then there's that whole reverse exportation thing, so I guess Toho see's that as a threat to their R2 market.

I realize that this (not making kaiju films available in the west) is certainly mainly about $$ with Toho. However, I still think an aspect of it is that an honorable, highly conservative and no doubt proud co. such as Toho doesn't want to hold one of their franchises up to the ridicule it'd be subjected to with a large, legit western release. Especially a large, legit western release that wouldn't be all that profitable.

You have to look no further than ADV's recent Gamera DVDs, with their "commentary" by Gamera and "out-takes" (where the films characters express their desire for another character of the same sex, in a southern drawl, no less!) to see the western opinion of kaiju eiga has not changed one whit.

I mean, if ADV can add an MST3K-style "commentary" to Gamera III, arguably the finest kaiju film ever made, then imagine what they'd do to War of the Gargantuas or Son of Godzilla?

Anyway, I hope Jeff's right, and a R1, subbed OSL release is in the works as we speak...!! :) :)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Toho might have a problem with releasing OAR and subbed Godzilla discs in the US, but it's always possible that such titles could be released in Europe. The original cut of Godzilla is available in Spain ( with Japanese language track intact ) for less than $15 and Toho have allowed OAR English subtitled Godzilla movies to be shown on British television.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've actually wondered, the extent to which Toho has gone after R1 bootleggers, maybe they were trying to create anticipation/demand for these here in the west. I mean, the R1 boots ain't exactly competing with Toho's (non-existent) R1 product. But then there's that whole reverse exportation thing, so I guess Toho see's that as a threat to their R2 market.
But it IS a threat to their R1 licensees who are stuck with butchered versions. Most of the hardcore G-Fans wantthe originals, and the licensees know this, but are unable to strike a deal with Toho. So it's a catch-22.

I know for a fact they've busted a few guys, some multiple times who are subbing and selling Godzilla films

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
The Japaneese soundtrack was not included G2K becuase the US version was a diffrent edit of the film, so the JP soundtrack wouldn't fit. The US soundtrack also had new music added.

The US edit was so well done it was released in Japan.

The commentary track explains alot of the changes/edits.

To include the Japaneese soundtrack would have required a second version of the film to be included, not just an alt track. And if they did that on 1 disc we would have seen all the posts attacking it for being too compressed ;).
2 disc set would have been more expensive, and since G2k didn't do as well at the box office as was hoped I wouldn't count on that.

Peter

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I was deeply offended by the dubber on the commentary track. Who gave him the right to cut and rearrange someone else's movie and then gloat about it?

Releasing the "US" version in Japan is trendy, and always grabs a few thousand sales. They do it all the time, it has nothing to do with the quality of the job done

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Toho and the director, actually.

Schlesinger said he wanted to move some of the Godzilla stuff to the kaiju-less middle of the film (where the lead is trying to download info from the computer before the military blows up the building), but the director said "no," and Mike S. had to comply.

I would like to see the orig. cut sometime, but considering how uncompelling the non-Godzilla stuff is in the edited version I don't think we're missing too much. For me, the "Big-G" scenes are the whole show in Godzilla 2000 (which are pretty spectacular, I think).

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap, SciFi showing those two films could be a good sign (they are also supposedly going to air Mothra 3, another film MIA on R1 DVD). Will these films be shown OAR and OSL? I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if this is the SciFi Channel's normal policy.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

OAR perhaps (hopefully). They can go either way with their Godzilla showings. I would guess OAR.

I seriously doubt OSL, however. Probably the best we can hope for is they come through with the OSL with subs for an eventual DVD release.

Still, very cool they are showing these on American TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks