What's new

Newcomer seeking advice on speakers/sub (1 Viewer)

alxltd

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hello,
I am new to this forum and it looks like there is a host of experienced people with information on home theaters. I am completing our home theater and I am looking for advice regarding the speakers and sub to purchase. As background here is the readers digest version of the room specs and current equipment:
Room dimensions 14WX21DX8H Dedicated theater room, no windows, sound insulation all around and on floor/ceiling (second story addition to home). The room is also prewired for a 7.1 set up with a second center and sub pre-wired aslo if I decide to upgrade later on.

Seating is 2 rows, first row at 12 feet from screen, second row on 7 inch riser is 17 feet from screen.

Screen is 100 inch diag (DIY)

Projector is yet to be purchased.

AV Receiver Yamaha RXV-2500
DVD Player Denon 2910
Monster UPS and Power conditioner

I plan to utilize the room for movies primarily and I am looking to have a 7.1 speaker system set up. The question is which speakers? Finally, my budget for the 7.1 is $4000.00.

I would appreciate any input and thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
ah to be a newbie w/ $4000 to blow on speakers....

frankly i can't recommend much because i haven't listened to much in this range. i can say you'll probably spend 1/4 to 1/2 the budget on your sub. SVS probably offers the most bang fer $ in general for the sub, there are some exceptions though.

here are some questions that will help with recommendations. what kind of sound do you like? (bright, warm, neutral, loud, quiet, etc.) how will these speakers be mounted/ installed? (on wall, on stand, on shelf, etc.) how important is quality bass to you? there are a few variables that will allow one to compromise on a sub. these include how loud, how low, how accurate. what are your priorities for bass?

tgraham

Grip
Real Name
Terry Graham
For a $4000 budget you can do pretty good. I have Paradigms and I love them. Check their site out for current models. They also explain well the science behind sound and what you should look for in speakers. Traditionally, Paradigm has made weak subwoofers but check out their Reference line of subs. These new models were 4 years in the making and sound fantastic. Other great brands in your price range are Aperion and Axiom. Both of these companies will let you test drive them for 30 days in your home with no obligations to buy them after that period.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
we could all tell you what brands of speakers we own, how much we like them, how great we think they are. i have psb's, i think they're great. they're under your budget (alpha line), but you could probably do better for more $$. but i have no idea what kind of sound you're after. hence the questions.

here's just a partial list of reputable speaker companies you might like.

athena, aperion, ascend, axiom, av123, b&w, boston acoustics, cambridge soundworks, energy, epos, era, jbl, jm labs, kef, klipsch, mirage, monitor audio, nht, paradigm, polk, psb, svs, wharfdale.

sorry if i left your favorite brand off the list. there are some fine speaker manufacturers i left off because you are unlikely to find them within your budget. others i may have just forgotten to mention.

anyway, my advice is to find a store that carries at least 3 of the brands listed above. listen to what they have above and below your budget. listen to as much as you can. when you know what you like, you will be more comfortable buying as when you hear it in your new HT you'll have an idea how it stacks up to what's out there.

good luck

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If I were the one shopping, I would probably get an SVS PB12 Plus/2 sub ($1,300), then look at Vandersteen speakers. No, despite how much I have been recommending Vandersteen lately, I do not own their speakers. I have also heard PSBs and been quite impressed. Both of these are a little more difficult to find, but worth it. Anyway, I wouldn't spend any more than that on a sub at this point.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd look at something like a Rocket RS450/RSC250/RSS300 combo and pick up the low-end with a PB12-Ultra or PB12-Plus/2 (the PB12-Plus/2 is currently available for $1150 in Piano Black as B-Stock or $1300 as Overstock A-Stock). A system consisting of Swans Diva 5.2/5.2C/5.2R or 6.2/5.2C/4.2R with one of the SVS subs would be equally impressive and a bit more neutral (w/ the Rockets being a bit more on the warm side).

alxltd

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thanks all for the advice. I will get out to demo the brands I can. Can't seem to find Axiom at any retail stores, are they direct buy only?

Also, as far as the sound I like, I am truly a newbie so I can't articulate my preferences yet. First I will have to define my likes in the terms mentioned (bright, warm, loud, etc.), so I will read up on the terms first.

The surrounds and center will be wall mounted, and the fronts free standing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks