What's new

Newcomer questions (1 Viewer)

thotsou

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Tsourinakis
I have just bought one Sony KDL 52X3500 TV and I want to buy a Sony Blu-Ray dvd player, so I have a few beginner's questions:
- Can I also play an ordinary dvd disc.
- Which Sony Blu-Ray model has also slots for camera memory cards.
- I read in a local magazine that Playsation 3 is also a good choice to use it as a Blu-Ray player and it is better value for money, is that correct.

Thank you for your help.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can answer two of your questions...

Yes and DVD should work on a Blu-ray player.

And if you also like to play video games, yes, I would guess that a PS3 would give you some added value.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The PS3 is by far the best player in terms of processing power and upgradability.

There is one caveat to watch out for if you are planning on using the PS3 as a blu-ray player though: It does not have separate 5.1 analog outs. What this means is that if you do not have a HDMI capable reciever, you will not be able to use the lossless audio tracks with the PS3. If you have a HDMI capable reciever, then it's a no-brainer choice.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi Thomas,

Friday morning at 8 am, Walmart is selling 40 GB PS3s for $400 with a $50 gift card. I'm not sure whether the 40GB model has card slots, but you should be able to check Sony's website to be sure.

What kind of receiver do you have? The PS3 will output good ol' 5.1 channel DD and DTS via optical -- it's only the newer formats that you'd need a newer receiver to decode.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you have a receiver in the last year or so with DD True HD, DTS Master HD decoding, I'd get the Panasonic BD30. It has the card slot and will output all audio formats via hdmi bitstream.

It also has analog outs for PCM(only) which most BR discs have. This is a nice hold over until you can spring for a new receiver.

It's also one of the only Profile 1.1 players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks