What's new

Newcastle R-963T (1 Viewer)

Eric Arens

Auditioning
I was at CES in Indianapolis, and a friend reps this line. As a courtesy to him, I stopped by Sherwood's booth, which they were sharing with Gallo (Roundsound). I began talking with Jeff, Sherwood NA pres about the Newcastle line, and ordered the 963, and went on my way. Forgot all abaout it. Last month this puppy shows up and I have to tell you that as far as Receivers go, this bad boy is the MACK-DADDY. When listening to PLII, it needs to be turned up alittle, but utilizing all 7 speakers whwen listening in a digital format is a truly beautiful experience. SW EP-I filled the room and had us all laughing with joy and excitment. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience witht his piece, and what your thoughts are. Eric Arens

EvanH

Grip
Eric,

I've been very interested in this receiver ever since I first read about it. There is SOOOO little info out there about it and I have been waiting with baited breath for the promised review to be posted at hometheaterhifi.com but this hasn't happened yet. The gentleman who is review the receiver mentioned on avs that as audio quality goes the 963 is top notch but he had some issues with the user interface, unfortunatly he wouldn't get into specifics and told me to wait for the review (which I'm try oh so hard to do). Anyway, I was wondering if you had any issues with setup or ease of use in day to day operation of the unit? Also, if there is anything that you would change on the 963, what would it be? Thanks

Evan

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
Patience.
I'm moving the 963T into the main system this weekend (I have some serious rack reorganizing to do :frowning:
Regards,

J

John Morris

Questions:

What is the best price you've found on the 963?

Does it use the same user interface as the 956? If so, then it does suck.

When did Jeff H get promoted? Last I knew, he was VP of marketing.

John K: If possible, please let us know how this unit operates as both a receiver and as a preamp/processor.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Merc:

Last time I looked at my business card I was Sr. VP for Marketing and Product Planning. Until today I thought that just meant I was the oldest guy who applied for the job.

Jeff

J

John Morris

...and product planning.
Ahhh. That's why you always knew about all of Sherwood Newcastle's future plans.
Anyway, sorry for the suck comment on the 956 but I hope that on the 963 you allow for direct access to each input and don't use the same type of "audio input" or "video input" type of scroll listing in order to select an input. I'd bet without hearing it that it sounds pretty dang good for a receiver. I know that the 945II and the 956 both sound very nice.
What's the latest on the new Pre/pro? Still slated for very late in the year?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Merc,

The front panel has a scrolling list, probably to minimize clutter. The included remote allows you to select an input discretely.

Regards,

J

John Morris

John K: the remote on the 956 is the HTM RNC-30 and although you can access CD, tuner, phono, tape mon directly, you still have to use the "VID SEL" button to scroll through the Video sources with this unit. I have a VCR on Vid 1, a PS2 on Vid 2, and a DVD player on Vid 3. Although the remote has both Vid 2, Vid 3 and Vid 4 buttons, they don't seem to do anything with regard to picking a video source. Is the 963 like this also?

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
The R-963 ships with our proprietary version of the Theatermaster MX-500. So, we finally have enough buttons to support direct access of all the video inputs.

Jeff Hipps

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I'm moving it into "System A" over the weekend. I am in working on a review, but it will (likely) be late March before I submit it, as I have some pretty intense deadlines with the job that pays the bills :frowning:
Oh to be independently wealthy!
Regards,

W

Will

Jeff Hipps,

Can you say anything about the upcoming Sherwood pre/pro? Is it still expected to be first demo'd in the fall? Do you know when it is expected to be available for sale? Do you have any idea if it will have about the same features as the pre/pro section of the R-963 receiver?

J

John Morris

The R-963 ships with our proprietary version of the Theatermaster MX-500.
Jeff H: Dang. I knew that. Why do you tell me this stuff if I'm not going to remember it when the product is finally available... :b BTW, in case there are still folks who don't know about the MX-500, it is a fantastic programmable remote and, IMO, is one of a few to get no matter what gear you own.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I seen a 963 brand new on ebay for 1599.00 from galaxy something or other. I dont know if there authorized {probably not}

J

John Morris

I dont know if there authorized {probably not}
JohnT: One of the reasons I like SN so much is that they don't play that authorized dealer game, at least not according to Denon type goosestep standards. I've bought SN units from Soundcity and Ubid and they both were fully covered under warranty. There are many, many online dealers who sell SN stuff under warranty. Still, I'd call SN on their toll free line BEFORE you buy to make sure that the unit you are buying is not grey market or stolen units.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Will:

The Sherwood Newcastle P-958 (tuner/preamp/processor) will have the functionality of the R-963 plus fully configurable DPL II Music mode and Dolby Headphone. This will be a CEDIA Expo introduction in September. Availability is expected shortly thereafter. Tentative SRP is $1500.

Jeff

W

Will

Jeff:

Thanks for the update. The upcoming P-958 with Dolby Headphone sounds nice! Thanks for providing it's tentative SRP too!

Does the R-963 receiver support just one DPL II Music configuration, or does it support some adjustments but not as extensive as is supported by the upcoming P-958?

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Will:

On the R-963, both DPL II music and cinema modes are fixed and are not user adjustable.

Jeff

Lance Dahl

Agent
John do you still have the SN pre you bought? I am looking for one for my system if you are going to get rid of it.

Han

Second Unit
A Sherwood-ized version of the MX-500 remote... sounds interesting. I really like my MX-500 remote, as it's my favorite remote thus far (and I've owned a Pronto).

There are only three gripes I've had with it. The "M1", "M2", "M3" macro buttons (which I've scratched out the labels, and wrote in with a paint pen "TV" and "DVD" for two of them). The "Info", "Menu", "Guide", "Exit", text labels which only served to confuse things, so I marked them out with a dark blue marker. And, the macro procedure for the 10 device buttons up top, in which you have to hold them down for 1 second or else it'd go into that device's menu instead. Useless for anyone else in my house except for me. I would have preferred a way to select whether each of those 10 buttons would activate a device menu, or activate a macro that immediately works instead of by holding downing for a second.

Anyway, I'm kinda interested in how Sherwood has changed the MX-500 for the 963 receiver, and if the 958 Pre/Pro will also have that remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks