Newcastle R-956 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Cabral, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

I have a Newcastle R-956 AVR that I'm having a problem with that I can't seem to figure out.

I'm using a JVC XV-FA95GD for DVDs and DVD-A. I have it hooked up to the R-956 via Optical for movies and CDs, and for DVD-A, I have the analog outs on the JVC going to the Direct 6.1 inputs on the AVR.
    For video, I have a component hookup to my 27" Wega.

Now, movies and CDs play fine. When I play a DVD-A or MP3-CD disc and switch to the Direct 6.1 playback on the AVR, I get no video. This is somewhat disconcerting since the MP3-CD playlist is only displayed on the screen, and the various DVD-A video stills would be nice to be able to see.

If I switch back to Video 2 playback on the AVR, I do get video, but no audio on DVD-A or MP3-CD discs.

Any ideas on how I can get video to appear on my monitor when using the Direct 6.1 selection for audio playback?

2. Dan Cabral

C'mon... someone's gotta know. [​IMG]

3. Ed Haze

Ed Haze Agent

Did you try using the OSD? If it is like the 863, you can change the video input selector without changing the audio source. Just a possibility.

4. Dan Cabral

I think I realized the problem...
    When I had it set to Direct 6.1, it showed the video source as 6. I didn't recall seeing a Video 6 input on the back, so I checked the manual, and sure enough, there's a composite and S-video input for "6.1" (very poorly labeled and positioned, I might add).

The reason I'm unable to view it in this manner is because I'm ONLY using the component hookup.
    And I kinda went without using the OSD because it won't go over the component video output, only over composite and S-video.

Looks like I'll not only be moving my DVD component out away from the AVR and directly into the TV, but I might also now have to get an S-Video hookup to go from the AVR into the TV so I can take advantage of the OSD.