What's new

Newcastle AM-9080 vs Soundstream THX M-3 (1 Viewer)

Dean_M

Second Unit
After much whining and pouting today, I finally got the go ahead to get a separate amp for my Denon 3802. I've found deals locally for these units (used), but I haven't been able to find much info on them. Aside from the difference in the number of channels, which one is the better overall performer and would be the best choice?

Dean

chung

Stunt Coordinator
The Aragon 8008ST's are selling for $1K, plus shipping, at Ubid. These are brand new units with Aragon warranties. Only 2-channels, but it will make a noticeable improvement.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I am curious to know if anyone has heard the Soundstream amp. Anyone out there have an opinion on the M-3?

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 2 channel version(M2) that I'm using on my 2-12" subs. I purchased it over a year ago and it's worked great. I've only used it for the subs, so I can't comment how it sounds for the mains.

The Soundstream M1, M2 and M3 are THX certified mono block amps. Spec'd at output power 120W @ 8ohms, 230W @ 4 ohms and 260W @ 3.2 ohms per mono block. The max output ratings are 160W @ 8 ohms, 270W @ 4 ohms and 300W @ 3.2 ohms per mono block. Each monoblock has a signal to noise ratio of 113db, THD 350. Features both 3-pin XLR and RCA Phono inputs.

The M3 is basically 3 monoblocks connected together by a front panel and an angle bracket in the back.

If you can get both at the same price then I would go with the Sherwood just because it's a five channel amp versus the 3 channels of the Soundstream. The Sherwood is considerably heavier and larger if rack space is a concern. The M3 is 42 lbs. 5.75" X 17.0" X 16.0" (HxWxD).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Sherwood is 72 lbs and five channel. A beast to say the least. I am very happy with mine. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Soundstream unit.

J

John Morris

I've owned both a Soundstream M-2 and the AM-9080 and if I had to pick one, I'd take the Sherwood unit. For a relatively inexpensive amp, the Sherwood Newcastle unit was pretty good, only lacking in a slightly compressed top end which most folks would not even notice on their systems. Get the SN.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Thanks for the input, but it looks like the issue has become moot. I was trying to avoid buying in haste and repenting in leisure and sought the advice of you folks, so the AM-9080 is now sold. At $350 I thought it was quite a bargain, but it looks like I'm going to have to shop around for something else. Are there any good three/five channel candidates out there in this price range, perhaps up to $500, for a used model, or should I keep looking for another AM-9080? Also, are there any good sites for used/refurb'ed equipment other than Ubid, Ebay, and Audigon?

Dean

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dean,

Recently Sherwood dumped a lot of AM-9080s on uBid and elsewhere (I got mine for $350 brand new from uBid - incredible deal). Look at Ebay and you may find bargains.

Dean_M

Second Unit
I'm back! :D I really appreciate all the excellent advice. I've found a good deal on some Marantz MA-6100 monoblocks for a bit more than the SN. I had to whine and pout some more to get the go ahead to get them, but I'd like to get your opinions of them before I commit myself. I haven't found much about them in the archives or audioreview, so what do you all think - would these be a better choice for me?
They'll be used with a 3802 and Infinity Interlude 40 fronts, IL-36 center, and IL-30 rears.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks