Newcastle 963?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Baldwin, May 1, 2002.

1. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Anyone own this unit? Curious about their implementation of the upsampling ... can you really hear a difference in your redbook CD's? I doubt it is night-and-day, and I figure you need to spend some time with it and listen to a lot of your collection.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Tim,

I recently submitted my review for Secrets, and I expect it to be posted shortly. It is currently getting critiqued by my peers at the publication.

I found it to be much more noticable in the "big system" which is my reference setup than in the "affordable system".

The "big system" used the R-963 as a preamp only -- and the effect was a better top end reproduction (less steep filtering on the output of the DAC) and clarity.

In the "affordable system" it was very subtle, and on some recordings not even noticable.

Regards,

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- Cool! [​IMG]
    You didn't notice any degredation at all? Not only is the Sherwood "up-sampling", but it is also "re-sampling" to get the 44.1 PCM to 48 then to 96 kHz. (Or, 44.1 to 88.2 then to 96.)
    At least in the DAT world, in the recent past, re-sampling was to be avoided for any potential deleterious effects on sound quality...

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Can the up-sampling be turned off?

5. BenG

BenG Agent

The upsampling can be easily turned off through the on-screen menu.

For the record, I cannot hear a difference between the two settings, but my CD player is a Playstation (1), and my main speakers cost less than $300, so your mileage my vary.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

As Ben reports, the upsampling can be turned off.

Regards,