newby speaker stand question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jeff.m, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jeff.m

jeff.m Agent

ok, so i'm just getting into the HT thing and i've got some newby speaker stand questions.

1. how much of a difference do the stands really make? i can put the speakers on my entertainment center and they will be around the same height as they would be if they were on stands. but will stands provide better vibration control? i read somewhere that controlling their vibration helps their sound.

2. do most speakers have some way of being attached to stands? i'm not about to drill some holes in the speakers to attach them to a stand, but i don't want them to be falling off if someone bumps the stand. any suggestions?

the speakers in question are energy c-3's. thanks in advance.

2. John S

John S Producer

Mine just sit on their stands. They could be knocked off somewhat easily I suppose. Vibration can cause issues if it is the same entertainment center where like a DVD player would be contained.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Stands will give you better freedom of placement to lock in your front soundfield(ideally you want to have the speakers out away from large surfaces). They also have less surface area for less reflection issues.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've had a few speakers knocked off their stands. Once, the cable guy knocked one off. It hit him in the head though, so I guess he got the worse end of the deal. Another, a drunk friend knocked my rear center off it's stand. That was with my old stands in both cases. My current stand & speaker combo weigh in at around 65lbs together, and are not easy to knock over at all, even without filling them.

You can use Blu-tac to keep them pretty well stuck in place and it adds a slight amount of vibration damping too.