Newby in the HT world needs advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewBinder, Sep 26, 2002.

1. AndrewBinder

AndrewBinder Auditioning

A couple of questions:

1) Which is more important to focus on when buying a system from scratch? The quality of the speakers or the quality of the receiver?
    2) Of the following receivers which would you recommend based on its musicality? Marantz 8200, Pioneer 47TX, Denon 4802?
    3) If I don't plan on building a THX standard setup anytime soon does it make more sense to buy a receiver without this feature and put the difference towards something else?

2. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

1) I'd concentrate on speakers first, as I believe they make the most difference, but more importantly, if you buy the speakers you really want in the first place, you will never need to upgrade as speakers don't come out with newer features, processing, etc, unlike receivers. You will porbably have to upgrade your receiver at one point, so you could save on that purchase initially.

2) I don't know.

3) Buy the receiver with the features you want. You're here, so THX shouldn't make a difference at all. THX is good for newbies who aren't really technically knowledgeable and don't want to spend time researching, they can just buy their stuff going with the THX standard, which will ensure a minimum amount of quality. Generally, a THX-approved receiver will cost more than a similar one that is not THX approved, however you should really go with the features/performance/price YOU want. i.e. if the Denon 4802 fits them, then buy it, even though it has the THX logo and part of what you pay will go to pay the certification. Just learn to ignore the logo, as if it didn't exist.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Andrew,