What's new

Newbies Question: "Progressive Scan" vs. Standard (1 Viewer)

Shawn_T

Agent
How much a "Progressive Scan" image (DVD or XBox game, specially XBox games) looks better than 'Standard' version?

I have a Sony WEGA 36" (36XBR250, 1999 model non-P"rogressive Scan") and I am envious that the newer models (like 36XBR450) have TWO COMPONENT connectors and "Progressive Scan" feature.

Does a game look much better in Progressive Scan? If so, HOW much better?

Thanks in advance.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Everything looks better in progressive scan... especially when compared to an interlaced Wega and there huge icky scan lines.

Try and find a store that has both side by side with the same material.

Shawn_T

Agent
Thanks for the info. So does this "Progressive Scanning" algorithm "Eliminates" the INTERLACING altogether?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
There are others on this forum who are far more qualified to answer this than I, but I'll give it a shot...

It's hard to quantify the difference between a progressively-scanned image and an interlaced one, because really it depends on the quality of your TV's internal line doubler. From my understanding, a non-progressively-scanned image will be line-doubled by your television, but since this is done in the analog domain and not digitally, it results in an image that won't look quite as smooth and artifact-free as one done by a prog-scan source component.

I have a prog-scan DVD player with the ability to switch from progressive to interlaced on the fly, and I have gone back and forth with movies quite a bit to compare the two. I would say that the difference is noticeable, but marginal. I would never be able to look at an image and tell you if it was progressive or interlaced, but if you switched back and forth, I'd be able to tell you which was which. However, the differences are pretty darn small. BUT, keep in mind that I am viewing it on a Pioneer Elite set, which has a reputation for a good line-doubler. So while the difference may be small on my TV, on someone else's TV it might be a bit more noticeable.

Now, to your question, are you missing something without progressive scanning on your TV? Well, sure, I guess. A bit. Is it worth dropping another 3 to 6 grand on a new TV to get? In my humble opinion, hell no!

That's my take on it--I've read other comments where people seem to think there is a world of difference between progressive-scanning and interlaced images. I am skeptical that the difference is as great as they claim, unless the line-doubler in their TVs are really sub-par. But like I said, there are people here with far more experience than I, so you may find quite a difference of opinion. Still, I say enjoy the heck out of what you have, you really aren't missing a great deal by not having progressive scanning.

Shawn_T

Agent
To Dave Falasco:
Thanks so much for great and 'comforting' response. Now I can happily go back and finish Halo and Munch's Oddysee! :D
Bill Gate's new TOY opened a MAJOR flood and debate on this PS and HDTV thing! I guess he is trying to hint that HDTV is the way of future! (which is of course, but M$'s way!)
Can you say Microsoft HDTV Broadcasting?! :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Glad I could help, Shawn! Believe me, I have spent the last 10 years of my life worrying that my brand-new receiver didn't have Pro-Logic II, or my brand-new video camera wasn't a digital camera, or my brand-new computer wasn't fast enough...after a long time I finally realized I was spending so much time worrying about what I didn't have that I wasn't really enjoying what I had! Not trying to get all Chinese-fortune-cookie on you, but you've got a great set, and you've got a cutting-edge gaming console. You should be in gaming heaven! Don't worry about a few bells and whistles that other TV sets have--that's always going to be the case.
Boy, that sounds awfully stuffy, I know. I guess I'm just trying to say, there's always a new thingamajig out there that your stuff doesn't have. The trick is to forget about what else is out there and just enjoy what you've got. You've got a sweet set-up, dude, I'm sure Halo rocks on your rig!
Of course, I don't always practice what I'm preaching, as both my wife and my bank account can attest to...

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I would never be able to look at an image and tell you if it was progressive or interlaced, but if you switched back and forth, I'd be able to tell you which was which. However, the differences are pretty darn small
Shawn, I'd like to point out that Dave's remark above, is not, as I read it, a comparison of progressive scanning vs. interlaced. It is a comparison between watching a p-scan source, or an interlaced source, that's been line doubled. Big difference. Im assuming that when Dave switched back and forth with his dvd player between prog scan output and interlaced output, that his Elite TV automatically switched and line doubled the image. So, what he was watching was still much better than normal interlaced video.

IMO, there's a big difference when comparing interlaced to prog scan, especially when the source image has a lot of motion. For a still image, there is almost NO difference between interlaced and p-scan (aka non-interlaced in the computer monitor world.) The only time you could tell the difference between a still interlaced and a still p-scan image, is if the image was a paused screen shot, and the pause occured between frames, where "tearing" (interlaced artifacts) was happening. Again as I said in the other thread though, it may not be worth the upgrade for you.

Shawn_T

Agent

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
For a still image, there is almost NO difference between interlaced and p-scan

Are you comparing interlaced and progressive sources again? If you are, I think you're confusing Shawn (and everyone else) again.

Black lines on your image are noticable whether there's movement or not. An image on a progressive scan TV will look better than one on an interlaced TV. I honestly don't see any room for argument.

He essentially wants to know if an XBR450 (or any other prog. scan TV) will look better than his XBR250. The answer is yes, whether he wants to actually spend the money for that is up to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks