1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike Auditioning

Hey everyone. I'm looking to hook up my new living room with the following, please let me know what you think it would sound and if its sufficient for a room size 19x18 feet and a ceiling just as high.

5.1 Setup:

- Surround Bookshelf speakers (front and rear) / Bose 301 Series
    - Center Channel / Not sure on Definitive or something else
    - Subwoofer / Same; no preference yet
    - Receiver / Denon AVR-3806

Could you guys help me if that would work? thanks. I'm goin to go all the way Digital (HDMI) connections from DVD-Receiver-TV. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hi Mike. Generally speaking, you can do much better than Bose for the money. Do a quick search on the forum to hear more about the reputation of Bose around here (and all other major online forums).

Could you fill us in on your budget? That would be very helpful. After that, we can point you towards some of the good speakers in your price range that you should listen to.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Yeah, give us your budget and what equipment your currently have. We'll be happy to help you spend your money.

4. Mike

Mike Auditioning

Hehehe sure, well i'm looking around the price of the bose 301 series, I thought that was a good one. Well to let you know that's my budget and that i'm a beginner in home theater so i dont know much. I mean i would like a nice enough system where i can feel the 5.1 you know. So what do you guys have for me? I'm probably looking close to $2k on everything, I already have my speakers prewire, its not the best but at the time i wasn't thinking top of the line, they are just 16gauge speaker wires. Hope that helps you guys. As for as a tv, i have a 3LCD 60" Sony Wega which has an HDMI connection.

Mike

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, this would stretch the budget slightly with that receiver, but you could still get the 3806 and get the SVS surround package.

If you want to come in below $2000, you could get the SVS package with the Harmon Kardon 635 or 440 instead of the Denon.

There are definitely other packages out there too. For instance, if I thought you were interested in smaller speakers I would have suggested the Athena Micra-6, but you'll get better sound from actual bookshelf speakers.

6. Mike

Mike Auditioning

The SVS system is not bad. What do you guys think about HDMI, should I be better off with a Receiver with HDMI? The HK doesn't have any until its AVR740 comes out next month. Any other package or seperate speakers to buy? How's the SVS sound like?

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I really like the way the SVS package sounds. I don't have a sub yet, but the other speakers sound really good. Read some of the reviews around here and on some of the other forums to get an idea. They are very good in their price range, but better speakers can be had for more money (as is usually the case).

I don't have much to directly compare to the SVS, so I'll leave the comparisons to others.

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

$2,000 is a healthy budget. I wouldn't recommend spending half of it on a receiver.

I recommend buying the best speakers you can afford and then go from there. With a $2,000 budget, I would spend 1/2 on speakers, 1/4 on receiver and 1/4 on sub.

One approach some make which is controversial is to start with a 2.1 setup and add speakers as you go. The reasoning is that a good 2.1 setup will sound better than a inexpensive 5.1 setup. Changes are you'll keep the speakers in the 2.1 setup longer than you would the 5.1. Boston, Paradigm, B&W all make good speakers in your price range. For subs check out a Hsu or Outlaw. They make good $300 subs.

9. Eric_Bender

Eric_Bender Agent

I agree with mackie, spend at least 1/2 on your speakers. They will make the most difference in sound on your system. You might also purchase a used receiver or separate amp and preamp, which will also sound better than most receivers. Plus with a separate amp, you will get more mileage out of it than a receiver.

Speakers: Boston, Paradigm, Klipsch.
    Separates: Adcom, Rotel, NAD
    Receivers: Harman Kardon, Denon

Good luck.

10. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    you're getting doo advice, mike. spend as much as your budget allows on speakers. trust us all on that one =). having said that, i recommend you give B&W speakers a listen.