Newbie with Video question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by careyc, Sep 3, 2004.

1. careyc

careyc Auditioning

HI,

I am setting up my HT and am not sure about the how I should wire my component from my DVD player. Is quality lost by routing through the reciever (Onkyo 601)?

Addtionally, I am wanting to upgrade to a player that upconverts to 1080i. All that I have seen use DVI. My receiver doesn't have DVI (nor HDMI) and my TV has HDMI. Should I try to find a player with HDMI or is there a converter for DVI to HDMI (and can anyone recommend a moderately priced player ~

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

For your new DVD player, I'd recomend the Zenith DVB318.
    You won't notice much of an improvement in PQ with DVI or component with the upconversion.
    If you want to use a cable that does your DVI to HDMI, you can look here.
    http://www2.dvigear.com/cables1.html
    Vb

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The fewer elements in the video signal path the better. Connecting the DVD player directly to the TV is always better although going through the receiver may not produce anything noticeably different.

Going through the receiver means two sets of cables instead of one. Inferior cables can produce noticeable degradation including ghosting and softeness. Any loss of quality within the receiver is unpredictable unless you have bandwidth figures advertised for the latter.

The "digital lapse" you refer to is also known as "lip sync error". Most de-interlacing introduces some of it which you may or may not notice. Some de-interlacings introduces more than others. Most receivers do not have compensation for the digital lapse, a few do.

Fortunately, although 1080i HDTV requires 37 MHz system* bandwidth (component video connection) for the full 1920 x 1080 pixel reproduction, you can get away with about 16 MHz for 1080i out of a DVD player because the horizontal resolution of the source is still the same 720 max pixels across. I believe that the bitrate for digital video 1080i from the DVD player is the same as that from an HDTV tuner so equally high quality cables are needed for DVI or HDMI connections.

*Bandwidth hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/whyten.htm

4. John S

John S Producer

I have had very good luck switching video through that level Onkyo AVR.

Video/Audio sync can be an issue, but switching it through an avr or not, will have no bearing on it.