What's new

Newbie with Tosh 50H81 set-up questions (1 Viewer)

Mikey_K

Auditioning
Hey all,
I'll be receiving my new Tosh 50H81 on Wednesday, and I need the assistance of you super-knowledgeable folks who frequent HTF.
I'll be connecting a pro-scan Tosh 4800 DVD player with Acoustic Research component cables and have ordered the AVIA DVD (which I understand will help big time). I'm operating on just enough hearsay to be dangerous; essentially, I'm curious as to what my process should be from the moment it's placed in my living room and the cable signal and DVD are connected. Can the AVIA calibration stuff be done right away, or should I wait? Can I play with convergence settings right away? I'm told the picture doesn't look its best before 100 hours of use -- true?
As you can see, I'm a stranger in a strange land. I sincerely appreciate all help, guys! Thanks.:star:

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I've had a 50H81 for a few months now. Here's what I recommend.

Turn the set on and IMMEDIATELY turn the contrast down to about 40. This will take the set out of "torch" mode and protect you against burn-in.

Then, after the set has warmed up for about an hour, perform a 9-point convergence from the user menu.

After that, you can use AVIA to adjust the various settings. You'll need to write down your settings and apply them for each input source, since the Tosh stores them separately.

When you go into the user menu to make your changes, FIRST change to preference at the top of the list to "Movie Mode". This will disable SVM on the set and improve your picture.

Your convergence will drift quite a bit for the first month or two. This is normal, and you'll need to touch it up quite often. After the set has about 100 hours on it, the drifting will subside. The picture definitely looks better after the set is broken in, but I doubt you'll be disappointed even when you watch it for the first time.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks