What's new

Newbie with speaker dilema (1 Viewer)

careyc

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm a total newbie to the HT world. I'm a grad. student working on a VERY LIMITED budget. My first purchase was an Onkyo TX-SR601 which came with a free set of Onkyo sks-ht510 (still awaiting delivery). Can't find much info on the 510s and am not sure if I should keep them or try to sell them on e-bay and apply the proceeds to a ~$400 dollar 6.1. Again, I'm pretty ignorant so sorry if this question is addressing crap components that most don't waste their time with. That said, thanks for any info folks may have.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Probably a good idea to go ahead and keep the Onkyo speakers if you are on a tight budget. They're generally well-regarded on the cheap end, and the Onkyo HTIB setup with those speakers is one of the highly regarded HTIBs.

careyc

Auditioning
Thanks Dave,

Thinking about applying that $400 to some front speakers, ditching the center and keeping the satellites unitl such time as I can afford a new center and then follow with satellite replacements.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Dave. Anything Onkyo is better than most people start with. Not sure how many speakers you are getting in the Onkyo package but if you have enough for 6.1 then a sub upgrade might serve you better than larger front speakers. A good sub can make small satellites sound pretty darn good. I just went to Circuit City today and popped a grill off an Onkyo HTiB speaker and it was a nice looking little speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks