What's new

newbie with a need for a theatre (1 Viewer)

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
i have no idea where to start!!!!! i have been to the local electronic shops but everything seems the same. i want a few "non biased" opinions!!!
hes what i want:

i watch sat HDTV
i want to play playstation 3 and Xbox 360
I will watch actions movies and football

i want a projector that will satisfy that and look clear. not like my business partners whose looks fuzzy when she watches tv or plays video games.

I am willing to pay up to 5k.

thanks

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Welcome to HTF, Keith

So do you want surround sound and the projector? Do you have a dedicated room or is it in your living room? What are the dimensions of the room?

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
yes i want surround sound... i currently bought some 9k Theatre Research surround sound speakers to use but i dont know what i am doing. yes i am creating a theatre on my 3rd floor. not sure of the dimensions but its 500 sq ft

hope that helps

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
uhhh ohhhhh.... yes i was at an audio show and dropped about 9,000.00!!!!!!! my day is ruined!!!! lol.... oh well... you live and learn... i will read link... can you help with projector.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What is your budget just for projector? First you need to decide between a DLP and LCD projector. Do you have any problems such as a low ceiling?

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
my cieling is about 8' or 9'.... i can spend 10k on a projector but i am not an expert if i can get something around 5k and it looks just as clear and dark as a 10k the average person wont beable tell the difference...
thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You can get a great projector for less than $5,000, including the new 1080p LCD projectors. Do you want DLP or LCD?
Do you know that the Cedia HT show is this weekend? Many new models will be announced and shown.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
$9000.00!!!!!, OMG, None of the speakers on Theater Research's Website have that even for their suggested retail. You didn't get white van scammed, You got white semi scammed, that sucks.

Is there any more info that you can offer on the speakers, like a model # or something?

I am going to let these other guys solve you projector issue, because my knowledge in that area isn't the best.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Live and learn but damn thats an expensive way to learn! Buy cheaper and give me the rest :D Seriously though, expensive doesn't always mean better and forums such as these are a huge help. DLP has the rainbow effect and can leave people with headaches, dizzyness and feeling nautious. Not all but some, I have a headache after watching about twenty minutes. While you may not be effected others around you might. Sub 5k pj's to look at Sanyo Z4, Panasonic AE900 and the Sony Hs51a. All three are fantastic IMO. I think the Z4 is the most versatile out of the three with lens shift and the multiple mount capabilities. Remember PQ is also effected by ambient light, throw distance, and material/paint used for screen. I took the cheap way and used Kils base1 Ultra White mixed to Wall Street grey mixed with aproz 4oz. of Delta Ceremcoat Pearlescent. You could've found out about cheaper and maybe better alternatives to the speakers here. If they work great! If not try and unload them on some unsuspecting poor soul.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Good speaker companies in no particular order

Paradigm
Kef
Rel
B&W
Martin Logan
Klipsch
Definitive Tech
Infinity
some Polk Audio, particularly the LSi series
Thiel

Subwoofers:
SVS
HSU
Paradigm
M&K
B&W
Definitive Tech
Martin Logan
Klipsch

Receivers

Pioneer Elite
Denon
Outlaw
B&K Components
NAD
Yamaha
Onkyo
Integra
Rotel

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
i kinda figured i got scammed. but they sound pretty good they are hooked up to a hitachi 55" so i guess i live and learn... i dont want to make the same mistake... i want a good quality pj and excellent sound.... is the infocus in76 any good? i like how it looks

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
From the looks of it Theater Research looks like an upscale white van company. Funny, pics show them at CES?! Is this right? Maybe they needed to be added to the white van list? I have heard the Infocus76 is good but don't know first hand. I do know first hand that the Sony hs51a, Z4 and Panny 900 are really good. With te thought 'expensive isn't always better' here are more speakers to add to your list HSU, SVS, Axiom, Ascend, Aperion, av123, and Energy. Listened to some Martin Logan electrostatic speakers in Tweeters the other day. I've gotta say that for the price tag of over 3000 for a pair the highs seemed really harsh to me, but hey thats just me.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Griff, are there any stores near you that you can view a DLP and LCD projector in person to see which you prefer? If not, can you view a DLP TV to see if the rainbow effect bothers you? Rainbows bother a small percentage of people. You really need to decide first if you want a DLP or LCD. I like the image quality of a DLP projector better than LCD. Both have pros and cons. You need to go to Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com and read away. They have reviews and great informational articles.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Under 3,000.00 the LCD projector is best IMO. DLP is better picture but more expensive for a good unit. I have a Sanyo Z3 and project on a flat wall painted with "Misty Evening" paint ($12.00 Home Depot) and the image quality is better and more stable than most flat screen tv's I have seen in stores. Only $4,000.00 and up televisions look as good or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks