Newbie wiring question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinWatson, Nov 26, 2002.

1. KevinWatson

KevinWatson Auditioning

I recently obtained a Pioneer 811, JBL NSP1 speakers, and a Sony WM40 subwoofer. I have an older television set that only has 1 S-Video input and the rest are the standard RCA connections(Video-1, Video-2). I also have a Playstation 2 (which also acts as my DVD player) which is hooked into my television via the S-Video cable (1 Svideo plug and two RCA plugs).

To take full advantage of my system(i.e Dolby 5.1, etc), it appears that I need to route my Playstation 2 into my receiver first, and then to my television.

How exactly would I do this?? It would seem that I need to plug my Monster S-video Playstation2 cable into the back of my receiver and then buy another S-video cable from my receiver to the television. Would this work? Where should these cables be run to/from? (i.e. which inputs/outputs on my receiver/television).

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark Agent

Kevin, you have it exactly right. You should hook your PS2 to your receiver.

If you are going to use the PS2 as a DVD player, I would use that position on the receiver. On the back of the Receiver is should have a group of plugs in the input area marked for DVD. You want to plug your PS2 S-Video, Red & White RCA plugs into here. Then you run a new S-video cable from the monitor out S-Video connection to the TV input your PS2 was originally plugged into.

When you press the DVD button on the front of the Receiver, this will route the video from you PS2 to the TV and the sound out to your newly acquired speakers.

To take full advantage (5.1) of the output capabilities of the PS2 you may need to get a new output cable for you PS2. To determine this you need to identify if you have digital optical output now in your existing PS2 output. If you do not, then you will need a new output cable for you PS2. Either way, you will need a new optical cable to run from your PS2 output to one of the optical inputs on your receiver. Then, in the setup of your receiver, you will need to select the chosen optical port as associated with the DVD input.

That sounds more complex than it really is. First step is to determine if you have optical output now from your PS2. This will look like an almost square plug port about 3mm across on the output of your PS2.

Wayne

3. KevinWatson

KevinWatson Auditioning

Thanks Wayne..

If I hook it up the way you described (with the S-video), will that allow me to get Dolby 5.1 and all that jazz?

I'll have to check to see if I have that optical output you are talking about on my PS2. Not sure if the PS2s have this or not..

Kevin

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Kevin..seems we have almost the same set up (811 Sony sub) [​IMG]
    Yes you will get 5.1 if you use the optical audio portion of the PS2.
    p.s. No need to spend a fortune on the optical audio cable either to get pure surround sound. Just go to Wal Mart/ Target etc and grab an optical cable for a few bucks. Will owrk out just fine.
    Alfer

5. KevinWatson

KevinWatson Auditioning

Thanks Alf.

So.. looks like I need 1 S-Video cable (from receiver to TV) and 1 optical cable from PS2 to Receiver. I already have the S-video from PS2 to receiver.

I assume that with the optical audio cable, I won't need to plug in those standard audio cables (red/whites).

Seems like this should set me up.

Kevin

6. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

That's right, once you hook up the PS2 to the receiver via optical you can just let the RCA's dangle.[​IMG]

7. KevinWatson

KevinWatson Auditioning

New Question:

Can I run the PS2 Svideo cable to my television, and just run an optical audio cable to my receiver??? This would save me the hassle of buying an extra Svideo cable to run from my receiver to the television.. I assume this is feesible.

Kevin

8. jeff.wright

jeff.wright Auditioning

Yes

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Kevin,
    While you CAN do this, I would suggest you read the post for the FAQ and Primer on the subject:
    Why receivers have video ins and outs by Neil Joseph
    Options for Routing Audio & Video by Ted Lee
    Both outline the reasons WHY routing video through the receiver is offered- and why it is often a good idea. Granted, if the only video device you have is a PS2 -- it might not help you- but it's good to understand WHY video hookup is availble and what you will miss by not using it!
    -V

10. dennis.d

dennis.d Auditioning

Hi I am new here but not new on the HT scene. All PS2s have optical connections. This is necessary in order to output DTS and/or Dolby Digital sound without any distortion (the regular composite connections aren't enough). When you do hook up an optical cable to your receiver make sure you activate the optical connection in your receiver's set up menu. If you don't do this you will not output sound through the optical connection much less output the any surround modes at all. Once set up this way there should be a button in your receiver's remote for audio input which also lights up on the illuminated face readout in your receiver. This button enables your receiver to output sound in analouge, digital or auto (selcet). You want to put this in digital in order to output sound through your optical cable. When the analogue is activated it routes sound through the composite (RCA jacks) interconnects which are likely to produce distortions.

Also your receiver has two speaker selectors A&B, you usually hook up all your speakers to the A while B are just a couple of L&R speaker connections. You will not need these unless you are running separate speakers into another room. At any rate you should activate speaker A using your receiver remote because as a default the receiver is set up to utilize A&B speakers. When A&B are activated your receiver will not output surround sound and will only output stereo (in other words you will not hear any sound in your center, surround speakers and sub if A&B mode is activated).