Newbie wiring question...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrianWH, Jan 13, 2004.

1. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

I am in the process of sourcing a REAL home theater setup, but as for now I am still using Altec's ADA885 4.1 Dolby Digital THX system.

This is a great little system for smaller rooms and has remarkable output for its price. This is about the cheapest way to get Digital HT.

My question: I had to extend the skinny little (probably 22g) wire that connects the surrounds and I used 18g wire to do this (spliced in about 15ft to equal about 25ft per side). I also used basic insulated "quick-disconnect" M-F connectors.

Considering the amplification supplied by the receiver (in the sub) is only 15W/channel to the 4 satellites and 60W to the sub, is this a bad combination of wiring or does the wattage really have nothing to do with it? These satellites are just little 3-inch full-range speakers.

Everything sounds the same as with the supplied 10ft/speaker wires. Should I expect problems?

Thanks for the education,
    Brian

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No reason to expect problems - splicing is fine if you do it correctly, and you did. [​IMG]

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

You should be fine.

4. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

One point. Make sure that the phasing is correct. The 18g wire should have a half that has smooth or rounded insulation and a half that has ridged or squarish insulation. Your 22g wire should also have some sort of marking for each half (stripe vs no stripe, copper vs silver wire, ridged vs no ridge, etc.). Make sure that you splice them in the same way so that you hook up both speakers in phase. Another words, the red speaker post is connected to the red output(+) of the receiver for all speakers. It doesn't matter which speaker post to which output so long as it's the same way for all speakers(including front, center and sub). No harm to your equipment but it does affect the sound quality if your speakers are out of phase.