What's new

Newbie - What DVD-A's to get and where? (1 Viewer)

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I've never owned a single DVD-A and would like to get started.

Is there a "must have" DVD-A?

What titles best "show-off" the DVD-A format?

With two young boys at home, I've become more of an internet shopper. Where are the better places to buy online? B&M?

Thanks,

Tim

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
For good pricing, one of the best places is Circuit City online, where WB titles are selling for about US$13.99. For some of the non WB titles, try DVD planet, where you should get them for 25% off MSRP.

Without knowing your tastes in music, it's difficult to make good recommendations. I'll try anyway:

Popular Music:
Donald Fagan The Nightfly
Linda Ronstadt What's New
The Eagles Hotel California
Boz Scaggs Dig

Country/Bluegrass/American Folk:
McCuen/Ibbotsen Nitty Gritty Surround

Jazz:
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' for the Fences
Ray Brown Soular Energy (Stereo only)

Classical:
NJSO Beethoven's 6th / Resphigi Pines of Rome
Harnoncourt Johann Strauss in Berlin
Zephyr Voices Unbound

Defies Categorization:
Blue Man Group Audio

I haven't checked out Firebird Suite / Bolero on AIX yet from Mark's Romanian sessions, so I don't want to say "buy this" yet.

Regards,

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

Yes, I forgot to mention anything about my musical tastes. I guess I didn't figure it mattered, because I can and do enjoy almost every genre of music I've ever heard.

A lot of your suggestions look very intriguing. I assume there are a lot of titles available.

Is there any kind of "web community" whose focus is on DVD-A?

How about a site that lists all/most available titles?

Thanks,

Tim

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

Try the Quad boards which has dedicated areas for SACD and DVD-Audio:

http://pub9.ezboard.com/bquadraphonicquad

The DVD-A area has one of the more comprehensive lists of titles available, and also upcoming titles, including anticipated dates.

In addition, you'll find discussion of hardware and software.

For an unbiased news source, try the website run by Stuart Robinson, High Fidelity Review. There you'll find information about SACD and DVD-Audio from as neutral a perspective as I've seen on the web. They have disc reviews as well.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com

HFR also keeps track of the number of available titles, and that listing is sponsored by Meridian, whose MLP made the delivery of 24/96K surround possible. This list shows a total of 447 titles available on DVD-Audio, and is sortable in several methods.

The Audio Asylum finally split off DVD-A from SACD, so the SNR went way up. There's finally some meaningful discussion after months of childishness. You can check out whether you like it at http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/dvda/bbs.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks