1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Video ?'s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John.W, Oct 16, 2001.

1. John.W

John.W Agent

Okay, I've been out of the loop for about 3 years now. I used to work at Circuit City so I DID know about some things but a lot has changed.
    I'm gonna get a DVD player soon. I was looking at either a sony or panasonic. first off the progressive scan thing, Do both the TV and DVD player need it? also if I use progressive scan then what about componet outputs? Do i use those or S-video?
    I was also thinking about a new TV. Maybe a 36" Sony Vega.
    Please guide me to what I need to look for and why i NEED it.
    Thanks

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

John:
    If you want true progressive capabilities, you need both a DVD player that outputs a progressive signal and a TV that can accept it.
    A non-progressive TV cannot accept a progressive signal from a progressive DVD player, but a progressive TV can accept the output from interlaced (non-progressive) DVD players. The line doubler in the TV will simply upconvert the image to a progressive image before displaying it. The advantages to each set-up really depend on the equipment. Ultimately it comes down to the quality of the line doubler.
    If the TV has a very high quality internal line doubler, complete with 3:2 pulldown detection (essential feature for film-based sources, such as most movies on DVD), you can get away with an interlaced player. The argument for using a progressive player is that the line doubling is done in the digital domain in the DVD player. If you use an interlaced player with a progressive TV, the analog signal is converted to digital, line doubled, then converted to analog again - just another step in the process. Usually most will recommend using a progressive player with a progressive TV for the best image quality.
    A progressive image can only be sent to the TV via component outputs - S-Video outputs are not progressive.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."