newbie video cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Matthews, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Josh Matthews

Love this forum. I just set up my Kenwood HTB-544 this weekend. Right now, I'm only running the audio through the reciever. I've been debating running the video through the reciever though it's not really necessary at this time. (BTW, dvd player is a playstation 2 with component cable/connection and vcr with composite cable/connection). I was just wondering if there's any difference between the actual "cable" used in composite and component cables. In other words, if I had an extra composite cable, could I use it to make a connection between the component video input and output of the receiver and tv, respectively, or must it be a component cable because that's somehow different?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The same cables will work for component and composite. For component you need three (3) cables.

One caveat, though: With component, it's even more important to have well-shielded cables that are 75-ohm (which is what composite should be as well). Because the component signal is higher quality (an oversimplification, but it'll do for present purposes), interference or distortion from cheap cables will be that much more noticeable.

M.

3. Josh Matthews

Thanks, I expected as much. In fact, one of the reasons I asked is I have a decent composite cable which at the time I thought I paid too much for lying around.

What about Audio cable? (Sorry if I sound dumb, but I failed to mention this in the other post). The cable I have is actually three cables (Yellow, red, white).

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Avoid audio cable. It's usually not 75-ohm (though I forget what it typically is -- 50-ohm?).
    One other point: For component you want three identical cables. If one part of the signal is traveling across a superior conduit, it may come through stronger and throw the image out of balance.
    M.