Newbie upgrade question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckW, Jul 22, 2002.

1. ChuckW

ChuckW Auditioning

I currently have a cheap Sharp HT-DD5000 HTIB. I purchased this on other cheap items such as Sharp Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, VCH813U, Sharp DV-770U DVD Player. With these I have my ATT digital cable box and a SL-9000 remote.

It is better than just TV, but I want to upgrade and see what real HT looks and sounds like. Since my youngest daughter has graduated from college and looks like she will be employed within the next couple of weeks, I think now is the time to start.

I joined this forum sometime back and recently have started reading all of the messages I felt would help me with my upgrade. While I think I have decided on my receiver (Denon 3802), speakers (JBLs, S36II mains and surrounds, S-CENTERII center and S120PII sub). I am still trying to decide on which DVD player. I think I will stay with the Toshiba 36A50 36-inch MTS TV for a while and then upgrade it to a HDTV. Since I will be upgrading a piece at a time I’m not sure what to do first. I have read a number of messages that talk about under powering/over powering. I don’t want to buy the receiver and blowout the speakers that came with the HTIB and I don’t want to buy the speakers and ruin them with the underpowered receiver that came with the HTIB (240 Watt).

So I guess the questions I need answered are:

1.Receiver or speakers first?
    2.Is this receiver and speakers a good match?
    3.Is this Toshiba 36A50 36-inch MTS TV acceptable display?

Any and all input will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Chuck

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Hi Chuck,

I think you would be satisfied with the sound coming from the Denon/JBL combo, although you might want to test it out first.

If I was you, I'd purchase the speakers 1st, then the receiver. You'll notice a bigger increase with new speakers then you would with a new receiver. Does your current receiver have Dolby Digital? If it does, then definitely go with the speakers first. If it doesn't then you'll still notice a difference, but you'll notice a bigger diference when watching movies when you get your new receiver.

Another reason to go this route is Denon is coming out with new receivers soon (the x803 models), so if you want to stick with the 3802 you might be able to get it for a better/closeout price once the newer models are out. But then, you also might consider looking at the new models to see if you like them any better. But that's always a problem with HT, isn't it? As far as the TV is concerned, I'm really not familiar with that model, so I'm afraid I'm of no help there.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Chuck, if you're not ready to make the jump in $$$$ to an HDTV-ready set then the Toshiba 36A50 tv set is fine. All I have is a 27A40 while I wait for HDTV-ready prices to come down further and for the technology to "settle" into the mainstream more. I am probably 3-5 years away from making the upgrade to a HDTV-ready 16x9 tv. As for receivers/speakers, the Denon is a nice unit and will be a considerable upgrade but I agree with Greg, upgrading your speakers will make the biggest difference. I would spend twice as much in speakers as I would in the receiver that powers them. My reasoning is that I'd like to keep the speakers long term but with new technology always appearing, an upgrade of the receiver will probably happen sooner than one thinks.

good luck,

--tom

4. ChuckW

ChuckW Auditioning

Greg*go & ThomasL,

Thanks for the input.

I will take your advice and go with the speakers and then upgrade the receiver.

Chuck