Newbie Trying to Start Lifting Weights ... What Weights Do I Start With?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm brand spanking new to weight lifting (I really know nothing) and am trying to start off with the basics in order to lose some weight. I've got my "Men's Health" program for beginners/intermediates/advanced ... but the silly rag doesn't specify how heavy the pair of weights should be for each level.

I'm not weak but I've also never lifted a weight in my life. My goal primarily is to lose weight rather than bulk up. So, what should I buy guys? Thanks.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

At the beginning, it is really a trial and error method. Find a weight that you can do 10 reps without slowing too much - but not easy. I will use bench pressing as an example. I might do 1 set like that. Then I would do a heavy set of 4-5 reps. That set I would struggle a bit. Then I would do a light set. 16-20 reps. Most of those would be fairly easy. The main thing is that you start slow and on the lighter side. If you have never lifted, or haven't done it in a while, you will be in major pain if your first few sessions are too much. Expect some soreness after the first time. If it were me, my first day would be 1 set of 10. That's it. Maybe 1 set of 10 arm curls. Trust me, you will feel that the next day.

3. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you do:

1. Don't hurt yourself. Take it easy to start, and work your way up.

2. Don't blow a lot of $$$ on fancy machines or 10-year health club memberships until you know that it is something you enjoy and will do for a long time. (And you should always get a month-to-month health club membership.)To start, you can get pretty far with body weight exercises like push ups, pull ups (the bar is only $10) and such. You can then see if "working out" is something you'll enjoy.

3. Incorporate "cardio" (jump roping, jogging, bike riding etc.) into your workouts as well, if you want to lose weight.

4. Don't waste $$$ on bodybuilding supplements until you're ready to enter the Mr. Universe pageant.

I recommend the book "Secrets of Advanced Bodybuilding" by Health for Life. (Yes, the title says "Advanced", but the training starts out at beginnner level).

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

You'll never see specific weight recommendations from books, videos etc. That would set up a liability angle if you took their advice and then hurt yourself.

The advice you have received so far is good. Your first sessions should be experimental. Get a feel for the motions necessary, and the equipment you are using. The amount of weight lifted in the first few weeks is unimportant. What is important is finding your comfort level. You might want to alternate days, work legs and lower body one day, arms and upper body the next day.

Remember: Lift safely and use a weight belt.

5. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

You may want to read through some of the live chat archives on the washingtonpost.com website that are hosted by Marty Gallagher, he writes for some of the lifting magazines and used to coach the US powerlifting team (I think). Anyway, chat archives are here:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../gallagher.htm
    One of the big things he advocates is this so-called triangle: lifting, cardio, and good diet. If you do nothing but lift weights, you're going to add muscle bulk and possibly gain some weight. Add some cardio to speed up the metabolism and things start looking better. Watch what you eat and things start looking really peachy.
    Worked for me, I went from around 210lbs to 176lbs before a big rollerblading marathon I was training for.
    Anyway, there's a wealth of info in those chat archives, worth checking out.
    Andrej

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

If you're more interested in losing weight, you should focus more on cardio activities such as biking, swimming, and jogging. Weightlifting won't do a whole lot for losing weight. Once you drop some weight, get into some high rep weight lifting and that should tone you up.

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice guys. Everything I've read says that lifting weights will actually do much more for me than cardio exercises. Unless I do like 3 hours of cardio every day (unrealistic) .. compared to 45 min. of liftining 3-4x/week.

8. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Don:

I think Ryan Peters is right. There are better forms of exercise (like the ones he listed, plus I'd include Aerobics) than weight lifting if your primary goal is weight loss.

There lots of good advice here. Let me add just one more. Concentrate on proper form instead of how much weight your using.

9. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

[Unsolicited Advice] Forget about losing weight, powerlifting is where it's at. It's very enbiggening. Don't worry about what your body looks like, eat what you want, get a little cardio in, and then lift with very few reps with a lot of weight. It'll give you something tangible to focus on and you can see your results in the numbers. And if you ever get in a fight, raw power is much more useful than a pretty body [​IMG] [/Unsolicited Advice]

10. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

First off, congratulations on making the decision to improve your image. First impressions are always important.

About 8 years ago, I decided to start lifting weights to gain mass. Over the years I have tried every approach, both over the counter and under the table. I am not supporting any illegal activity, but there is nothing OTC that can beat what you can get from hardcore gym rats.

Over the years I have grown from a slim 185 to a bulky 255. The 255 was at about 21% body fat, which was unacceptable to me. I have been "clean" for about two years, and wanted to stay that way, but also wanted to get results fast. I wanted to get to about 210 ripped, at about 8-10% body fat. I knew I had my work cut out for me, because I love to eat, and love to pump iron.

The regiment that I went through is not for everyone, but it has proven effective for thousands of people that have tried it. It takes a lot of will power, can initially wig you out, but you will start showing results within a week. I learned this suppliment stack from the popular body building mag Mucsle Media 2000. Years ago it was the bible for hardcore muscle-heads, but lately has just become an advertisement rag for its founders products.

Here it is . . .

You will need to find an over the counter product called Effidrine Hydrocloride(sp, hereafter reffered to as EHCL). It is a OTC bronchial dialator/stimulant that you can find behind the counter of many gas station/convenience stores. Convenience stores owned/run by Indians will usually always have this. It is commonly referred to as truck-stop speed. It was clinically used as a bronchial dilator, but is rairly used for that anymore. Some states have restricted its distribution. *****Warning***** This is a very potent stimulant, and shouldn't be abused.

I always started the day of with my workout, because your Testosterone levels are always highest in the morning(thats why you sometimes wake up with a "woody"). Testosterone is an anabolic agent that aids in muscle development, and if harnesed properly, fat burning. Prior to my workout(I will outline what workout I would do later), I would take 1 EHCL, 1 generic aspirin, and drink a cup of coffee. This stack increases your basil body temperature(BBT), increases your heartrate, and reduces your appetite. The key to this stack is increasing your BBT, boosts your metabolism, which burns calories. Reducing your appetite is a result of the stimulant effects of the EHCL/caffine, and the aspirin helps in binding the compounds to recepetors. I would repeat this stack again at 1pm. You shouldn't take this any later in the day because it can effect your sleep patterns, which also is vital to cell regenration. I would maintain that stack for two-three weeks, then increase to three doses/day as my body adjusted.

During this time, I basically starved myself. I would have a bagal in the morning, a can of tuna in the afternoon, and very little for dinner. As I said, your desire to eat and appetite will decrease, but you will get cravings. Just eat health foods. Humans love the taste of fat, and that tends to make us overeat things that are detrimental to our bodies(i.e. - potato chips, rib eye steaks, etc.) You will want to stick to two basic food groups; complex carbohidrates(bagles, brown rice, baked potatoes) and protein(tuna packed in water, very lean red meat, chicken breasts, very lean white pork). Your body will get all the fat that it requires from the protein sources.

After about a month and a half, you will notice that your body has adjusted to this stack. You won't feel quite as worm, and your appetite may have increased. That is when you need to add Yohimbe to this stack. Yohimbe is an oriental herb that is often used as a sexual stimulant (I can attest that it does work in that respect). Maintain the three doses a day. This should work in picking back up your metabolism.

Thru all this you will need to work out. If you have never lifted before, you will want to start out slow, yet determined not to give up. Intimidation in the gym has run off many wouldbe's/wantabe's. Gym rats see this all the time and will use it to try and impress you, but it will ultimately discouraging you in the process. Stick to a routine that is easy and yet challanging, and ask for help from staff or others that look like they know what they may be doing. This is what I would tell someone in your situation . . . go to the gym early in the morning because the only excuse that you can make at 5 or 6 in the morning is that you just didn't want the results bad enough. A routine that I would follow for about 8 weeks would consist of:

Monday - Cardio work. Stationary bikes are the easiest. Don't go for speed, just endurance. Stay peddling as long as you can, but no less than 30 minutes.

Tuesday - Chest/arms work with Weights. Start out using the machines if you can. Bench press, incline press. Dumbell curles. Do 4 sets of as many reps as you can, but atleast 12. Use light weights!!!! Heavy weights/low reps is for bulk, light weight/high reps is for tone.

Wednesday - Cardio work.

Thursday - Legs - Weights. Use the machines. Curles, extensions, presses. Again 4 sets with high reps, moderate weights. Your legs are the biggest muscle group, and can also cause people the most "pain" when working out. I used to hate working out my legs, then I really started to enjoy punishing myself with workouts that would make a mortal man puke. Don't go in with that attitude or you will puke and quit.

Friday - Cardio work.

Saturday Back and shoulder work with weights. This one actuall can be the most fun. Use machines!!! Pull downs, seated rows, military press. 4 sets with moderate weights on pull down and rows, 12 or more reps. Military press with light weights, 4 sets with high reps.

Sunday - Rest.

This workout may seem too intense, but the weight portion can be completed within 45 minutes, along with the cardio. The key is to help your body increase your metabolism, therefore burning more calories.

I know that this may seem extreme, and it may be, but it works for me. I achieved a body fat or 9% and am now at 211 as of this morning.

As I stated before, this information can be found all over the internet, mags, etc. It may not be for you.

Best of luck and what ever you do, don't give up on yourself.

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Kendall,

Man, I got tired just reading your description. Now I am craving some chocolate chip cookies and a Yoohoo.

You, my man, are an animal! Congrats on the bod! You have inspired me to start working out. I think I will go right now and lift some wei . . . Hey, Seinfeld is on! Where are my Oreo's?

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Every so often, an ol' weightlifting thread pops up, and since I get exhausted everytime I reply, I'll keep it short:
    Two options:
    1) Eat healthy (lo fat, hi protein and medium carbs, hi if you wanna gain weight), lift 3-4 times/week for under an hour each day using a split-routine* making sure to hit a different stimulus each week while mixing and matching nautilus stlye and free weight machines, find a nice tub of protein powder and some protein bars (EAS and Met-Rx make popular supps),save up some $$ cuz weightlifting gets expensive, and if you eat right, you won't have to do cardio at all.
    2) Invest in a personal trainer for 12 weeks like I did. He or she will echo the points in opinion #1 and add much much more.
    tip: just say no to crap like ripped fuel and xenophdrine...bad for your heart.
    note: you'll lose 5 lbs right off the bat
    *split-routine: one or two different muscle groups per day, 2-4 exercises per muscle group. eg. monday: chest/triceps, flat bench, incline dumbbells, cable flys, overhead tricep dumbbell, tricep cable pulldown w/ v-bar, tricep machine tuesday back/abs, etc, etc

13. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Randy,

I think that you are the man. . . You made me laugh and that is the best way to start out the day!!!!

14. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I would recommend starting with dumb bells. They will help you learn how to balance and *control* the weight.

15. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks. I had planned on using dumb bells. It seems like a nice place to start. Off to Sports Authority I go...

16. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk