newbie to wireless-please help.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim L, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I currently have a desktop with comcast internet service. I would like to add another computer in another room and have internet service in there as well. I already have a cable line in the room- but not sure what I need or have to do do get internet access onto the second computer. I know I need some kind of router/and or adapter and a wirleless card? I checked around but there are so many different types or routers- not sure which one to get or if they all do the same thing? ANy help appreciated-like I said I don't know alot about this stuff- so please keep it simple if possible. thanks
    Tim

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm afraid u will not be able to use that cable line in that other room, unless its actually a CAT5 in there. The best possible solution is to get a wireless routerand wireless adpater( either PCI or thru USB) for the desktop in the other room. Linksys, Dlink among others are quite good but try and get both mentioned items of the same brand. It will be easier that way to configure.
    I use an 5 year old Linksys wireless b router with 2 desktops wired to it and 2 laptops connected wirelessly.

Now if u plan on getting these at BestBuy or Circuit City, don't get sucked in by the saleman's hype telling u the more expensive one is better. Get the cheapest one and make sure that u can return it with no questions asked. Also, believe me when I say that its really easy to set this up and u don't want to pay a teenager $50 an hour to install it. U can always call the router's manufacturer and get their tech support on the phone to help u fo FREE! It is usually a good start to learn how these things are connected so when trouble comes up, u can check it urself because u hooked it up urself. Now, if u feel ur really not gonna do a good job and have money to spend on installation, please disregard all of this.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I wouldn't suggest necessarily getting the cheapest thing available. I would recommend going with the cheapest 802.11g router you can find that is a name you've heard of before.

I suggest 'g' just because of the additional security features that it offers (WPA instead of WEP). Also, you should be able to find 'g' products pretty inexpensively.

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

no cat 5- so router and adapter it is-my next questionis how would I hook this up properly? cable line from wall into router on main computer and adapter into second computer? I just want to make sure I don't screw it up,t hanks
    Tim

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Where is your modem? An ethernet cable will go from your modem to your router (into the WAN port). Another ethernet cable will connect your current computer to one of the LAN ports on the router. The wireless adapter (either PCI or USB) will be connected to the new computer.

Then setup the router according to the instructions in the manual. I would suggest the following: change the defaul password and setup WPA encryption. These should be fairly straightforward. Then run through the setup for the wireless adapter to connect to the network. This should go fairly quickly . . . you shouldn't run into many issues . . . especially if the adapter is the same brand as the router.

6. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Tim,

This is how it's physically connected:
    cable > cable modem > router > pc (either wired or wireless)

Having stated that, you're going to need a wireless-g router (the kind with 2 antennas is preferable) and a pci wireless-g card for the other PC. The router and the wireless-g card comes with instructions and how-to-connect pamphlets so please read them first...

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for info-so router, adapter and a PC card? is this correct?-yes I will stick with the same brand (any recommendations) I was checkingout the sunday flyers-yikes- so many choices-I had no clue really which ones to pick from. Id there a brand that is preferred by you guys?-thanks
    tim

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The problem with these cheapo consumer level gadgets is that somebody has had a bad experience with some brand, so you'll probably get lots of varying info on this. Personally, for instance, I hate D-Link with a passion; I've encountered up to a dozen of their wireless products and the only things that have worked passably (mostly) has been the wireless network cards. Routers and access points I dislike a lot, though.

Netgear is one brand I myself would consider. I've built my own router of an old PC, m0n0wall software and some network cards and a switch, but if I were to buy a consumer router I'd look at either Netgear or Linksys, probably. For maximum chances of getting everything to work painlessly, buy the same brand for all the parts (router, wireless cards, etc).

Then of course comes the issue that some gear from some manufacturers are great, and then other devices by the same manufacturer may reek... [​IMG] It's a jungle, allright.

Now; reading your description of the setup, I'm thinking you have one network cable to your computer coming from the cable modem? Or is the cable modem connected to your computer via USB? If it is USB, then the stuff I link to below won't work, so find that out first.

If it is a network cable then you're good to go, and you need a wireless router to begin with. That router will replace your computer as the connection point to the internet, and then you can connect your computer via a wire or wirelessly to the router. The router will then route [​IMG] the Internet traffic further out on the net.

To then connect the computer in the other room, you should install a wireless network card in it, and it will then communicate with the router which will forward connections to the Internet.

For the router, you don't need anything fancy IMHO; wireless G would be enough but it has to have WPA security; Netgear has this for instance:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php

For the computer(s), something like this:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG311T.php

Technobabble alert [​IMG] :

You'll see a lot about "802.11n draft specification" gear if you look around... that is not a good purchase at the moment. The draft specification for wireless-n didn't work out so they had to revise it, so anyone with wireless-n-draft gear may be in trouble getting it to work with the wireless-n gear that is eventually decided on. 802.11n is the up-coming and even faster new standard; the oldest is 802.11b and then came 802.11g.

So there you have one option. Should work fine, but I take no responsibility if it reeks. [​IMG] You can find similar gear at Linksys and others, of course.

9. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks again- lots of info to digest- yes I have a cable modem now (comcast) that connects to my computer. One question though- I am going to need a wirless adapter and wirless card for the second computer? or are they one in the same. Thanks for the responses everyone-and I apologize for my ignorance on this subject. But gathering everything- it seems like this is the scenerio-
    cable line from wall- to modem-modem to router-router to main computer. seond computer needs wirless card installed and and an adapter (USB?). I think I got it. of course I when you start talking about 802.11??? types- I'll admit I'm lost-have to read up on this some more.
    Tim

10. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Nope, just a pci wireless card for the second PC. There are 3 'flavors' of 802.11 - a,b & g. Just get a router and a pci wireless card that supports 802.11g...

11. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Sorry but I wasn't clear enough backthere. I meant the cheapest Linksys g routers. They usually have those fancy ones that u wouldn't really need.

Tim...u can get either a pci wireless card which u would have to open up ur pc to stick it in or a USB wireless adapter where u plug in via a USB port outside the PC. The latter I think is a tad cheaper that the former but u'd have another thing outside the PC. To each his own...

12. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

excellent guys thanks -makes sense now ( I know it took awhile). of course my wife threw a little wrench into the mix and suggested she might like a laptop instead for the 2nd computer- from what I read it shouldn't matter- the setup should be the same-infact don't alot of laptops already come with a wireless card built in? something else to research now-laptops.
    Tim

13. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Yep, laptops almost always come with the option for built in wireless now.

For places to look at, I always reccomend hitting up a dell deal, you can usually snag a really good laptop for a low price if you wait for a 30% off or a half-off coupon.

If your looking for something more powerful, maybe like a straight desktop replacement, pctorque.com is a good company to buy from. They resell Sager / Clevo which are sold by quite a few retailers including Alienware. I like their support, they even host their own popular forum.

14. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

no , a simple dell laptop would work fine, don't anything fancy- but where are you finding those coupons? sounds like a sweet deal.
    Tim

15. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

These forums here post a few every now and then, aside from that I usually use fatwallet.com for finding other, I'm sure some other folks know a few more good deal sites as well.

16. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I don't think that 'g' has anything directly to do with WPA. 802.11g is a standard for 54 Mbps radios that operate in the 2.4 GHz band. WPA is an offshoot from 802.11i.

I do remember that there was going to be a change to the WiFi Alliance's rules, so that a vendor could not use the WiFi trademark on new products unless they implemented (at least) WPA. So yes, most 'g' products should have WPA support -- but it doesn't hurt to check for a mention of WPA on the packaging.

17. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

It doesn't. WPA came out because WEP provides inadequate security (WEP is part of the 802.11 standard). 802.11i is WPA2...

18. Scott_Sch

Scott_Sch Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread, but the wife and I are looking to set up a wireless home network this weekend and I came across this thread, which has already help out tremendously.

So...I've noticed that some Netgear, D-LInk, Linksys, etc. products only list WEP protection. Its sounds like, based on what you guys are saying, that I should look for a router than also supports WPA...is that true?

For instance, would this be an appropriate wireless router for a home network?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1074787298555

Also, I have Comcast cable DSL and I recall the installer placing some software on the one computer we had at the time but he unfortunately didn't leave the software with us. Does anyone have any experience with running Comcast internet on a second (and maybe third) computer and what needs to be done in order to make it work?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

19. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

That router will work just fine. Most newer 'g' routers can do WPA and are cheaper then the one you linked to. I use a D-Link 524 that's generally around the cheapest out there and it works perfectly fine and will do WPA.

20. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You have either comcast cable or comcast DSL (if there is such a beast) - they are separate technologies. One works over the cable TV network and the other via phone lines. [​IMG]

As I mentioned up there, some DSL or Cable connections come with a device that is connected via the USB port on your computer. At the risk of being insultingly clear - if this is what you plug into your computer from the comcast cable box, you'll have problems with setting up a router:

[​IMG]

If, however, the cable looks like this you're probably good to go - RJ45 plug on an Ethernet cable:

[​IMG]

Usually I'd say the boxes have both options. You only need specific drivers installed in your computer if you use USB, though, which is what made me think about the possibility since software installation was mentioned.

Here's what Comcast have to say about it:

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...nnection117945