Newbie to the HT bit N bobs yet eager to learn!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deani, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Deani

Deani Extra

Hey everyone! :]
    Firstly i am a newbie to all this and am quite lost by all the terms i see used and whatnot. But the bug has bitten me, and i wish to learn more and join this immense community!
    Now i have been putting up with speakers of the 3W variety for years. As you can appreciate the sound is as weak as weak gets.
    So i want to upgrade but having looked at a few different hifi sites i kind of got the impression i was getting more and more lost in this jungle :]
    Thus what i was hoping was if any of you people could possible throw a few ideas my way??? im looking at a nice powerful set of speakers (100W really) and a decent amp.
    My limit is a bit low but i get paid a training wage so must make do [​IMG]
    £350 all told i guess is about right. (yup i live in uk)oh and ill be using the equipment with my pc to play music
    One of my mates mentioned wharfdale (means nothing to me!) but i have no idea of their quality [​IMG]
    I just want to be able to hear music as it SHOULD be heard!
    Any ideas tips, ALL welcomed!

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Are you looking for computer speakers, or stereo speakers? I don't know much about speakers for computers. For regular speakers that would be hooked up to a receiver/amplifier, I could make some recommendations. I believe Tannoy is a British speaker manufacturer? AFAIK, they're known for making excellent budget speakers, and you should be able to get them cheaper than Canadian/American brands. Other brands I could recommend are Paradigm, B&W, NHT - they all make speakers in your price range.
    One last thing - I think you'll be doing an injustice to all of those speakers if you hook them up to a computer, that's assuming that even works [​IMG]

3. John.J

John.J Auditioning

If you are looking for computer speakers go with Videologic
    If you want a stereo system buy a stereo receiver
    and Mission speakers.I think they have very good bass so you won't need a sub and the overall sound is very good.

4. John.J

John.J Auditioning

5. Deani

Deani Extra

stereo speakers. computer speakers jus dont impress me one bit
    Thing is though if i get speakers what do i also need for them??? i hear of amps and recievers and power amps, integrated amps and dont have a clue!
    and what doy ou guys reckon is a good amp (or whatever it is i need to go with some speakers) right now???
    [Edited last by Deani on July 27, 2001 at 08:05 PM]

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Warfedale speakers are a premium brand made in the UK. We don't see them much over here, but they have been around for 30 years or longer.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    you looking for an amp or a receiver? i think you're in for a receiver, so that's a good place to start.
    amp: all receivers include amps. it's what powers your speakers. that's about as basic as it gets.
    receiver: a multi-tasking head unit to your setup. it's going to be the center of your system. a receiver will take inputs from sources like cd players, dvd players, tape decks, etc., process them, and send them to the right location(s). (ie: dvd sound goes to the speakers and the picture goes to the tv, cd player goes only to speakers, etc). it also powers your speakers (for what we're concerned with).
    if you could please let me know what the pound dollar conversion is close to and how much you want to spend TOTAL (including receiver and speakers). then people here can start getting specific with advice.
    oh, yeah, and welcome [​IMG]
    -thomas

8. Deani

Deani Extra

1 uk pound = 1.42 american dollars.
    thats what this website said anyway :]
    so if i call it a straight 400 uk pounds then thats about 568 american dollars
    that is just an estimate though. Like i say i cant go for tons right now but you got to start somewhere eh!
    id like to initially get 2 big and nice quality speakers and then like you say Thomas probably a reciever.i know i sounds bad but i really dont know the difference between amps, pre amps, recievers and all that properly yet [​IMG]
    ill get there though
    a few people have mentioned NAD and Denon.not sure if they are in US as well though??

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Welcome to HT!
    These guys are great! I've been at this for 7-8 years and upon finding this site, my budget was blown! Understanding the terms will be the easy part, auditioning is more fun and unboxing your purchases is orgasmic.
    If I'm not mistaken, Monitor Audio is a native manufacturer for you and are vertainly one of the higher end speakers. Kinda pricey but worth it.
    I've been setting up some friends systems in the past few months and have heard and seen several brands in several different environments. One friend just jumped on Paradigms for all channels and another friend (because of money) went with the N series of JBL all around. Yes the Paradigms were very good and strong but I was amazed at JBLs. Certainly a great contender for a small budget. But they don't sound small or cheap. I highly reccommend them in direct firing systems.
    ------------------

10. Deani

Deani Extra

so if a reciever is what i need then what would be the best bet???

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i think i should recommend a 'Home Theater in a Box' type system. (fyi, that includes: dvd player & receiver (usually lumped into one unit), 5 speakers, and a sub)
    ummm... i'm not too familiar with those but i'll look around. did you want dvd? i'm not sure if they include inputs for vcr, but they should! i also dont know if they include cables, but (again) they should!
    anyone else here know anything about HT-in-a-box?
    btw- i dont think most stuff people discuss in here 1) is in your price range and 2) makes stuff in your price range(ie Denon). my suggestion is either go HT-in-a-box for now and upgrade later, OR (better) wait until you have a little more ££ ( [​IMG] ) to assemble a relatively good system. for example, lots of people have had a good setup with $800-$1000 (about £571-£714) budgets. if you're looking for a TV also, you have almost no choice but to wait! if you ARE wanting a TV then you seriously need more money. sorry: HT is really tough on the wallet!!
    that's my suggestion. wait until you have at least £600 to spend to get something that will suit you for awhile.
    (for the US of A'ers, £ = alt 0163)