1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie to HDTV, plse help me buy my first Projection TV thks

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Van_N, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Van_N

Van_N Auditioning

I spend over 30 hrs in the last week, researching on the web and reading pages of reviews, articles, forums and I am now more confused than ever. I am most concerned about reliability and efficient warranty repairs (would like to avoid the hassles of frequently calling for repairs and waiting for weeks without my TV).

Based on prices available from relatively reputable online merchants and brick & mortar stores, I can afford one of the following 7 models, and would appreciate comments and advice from more knowledgeable members, thanks (all prices include all shipping and sales tax as applicable):

1. Samsung HL-S6186W 61" DLP 720p (Amazon.com) $2,104 Net
    2. Sony KDF-E60A20 60" LCD 720p (Amazon.com) $2,272 Net
    3. Panasonic PT-61LCX 61" LCD Circuit City B&M $2,174.88
    4. Sharp 56" (Costco B&M) $1,847.66 Net
    5. Samsung HL-R6767W 67" DLP (J&R B&M) $$2,568 Net
    6. JVC HD61Z886 61" HD-ILA (J&R B&M) $2,609.99 Net
    7. Misubitshi WD-62526 62" LCD (Amazon) $2,299.99 Free Ship No Tax

Thank you.

2. Van_N

Van_N Auditioning

I forgot to mention that the 56" Sharp available at CostCo is the Sharp 56DR650 DLP model.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Best bang for the buck and best return policy if you don't like it:

Sharp 56DR650. Has gotten good reviews in the HT press and is top rated by Consumer reports. Costco does not limit you to a 30 day return window.

Possibly most advanced of the dlp sets listed:

Samsung HLS 6186W. Superior to previous gen. Sammy 720 dlps in several ways--faster processing and more advance "brilliant color" system which adds two colors to the color wheel in addition to the 3 primaries, 2 hdmi ports. Not too good with SD feeds.

My choice:

JVC HD61G(or Z) 887--yes, that's 887, not 886. The 887 series is the newest of the JVC 720p HDILA sets, has a variable (in steps) iris system, improved tuner, and 2 HDMI ports rather than the single one of the 886 series. Best Buy currently has these for 2700ish including stand.
    I would choose DILA over dlp because there are no moving parts (color wheels) involved so no chance of suffering the "rainbow effect" as with dlp.
    JVC is now on their 3rd or 4th generation of the DILA technology (their designation for LCOS or Liquid Crystal On Silicon). Sony uses the same lcos technology (albeit at 1080p) on the SXRD models.

The Sony A-20 is a nice set but soon to be superceded. It does "bob and weave" processing of incoming 1080i sources, meaning it throws out half of the 1080 lines, dropping it to 540p, then upscales that to the set's native 768 vertical pixel count. It also lacks a variable or dynamic iris (Sony's A-10 sets have this as well as proper handling of 1080i) and only has one HDMI port.

Costco around here also carries the Sony 50" A-10 series lcd based set, superior in many ways to the 55 A-20 and their price (2200ish) also includes the stand. This is a very highly regarded reasonably priced set with excellent reliability. It's picture quality is tops for lcd based rptvs.

Mits. lcd sets are also not doing 1080i properly and are not highly regarded.

Panasonic is a good, reliable set with pretty decent pq.

4. Van_N

Van_N Auditioning

Thank you, Steve, for your detailed and comprehensive advice, much food for thought for me to digest. I now have more info to consider how to weigh the different aspects. Thanks again.

Any additional advice from other members, whether supplementing, supporting or disputing Steve's facts and opinions, would be most appreciated.

Van

5. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Those Samsung 720ps look really nice in person.

I perfer the DLPs over the LCD since there is no "screen door effect", which drives me nuts.

6. Van_N

Van_N Auditioning

After many hours in Circuit City and J&R Electronics showrooms, I now can recognize the screendoor effect on LCD sets, and agree that it is bothersome (unless you can make sure to sit a good distance from the TV). I still cannot yet see the rainbow effect on DLP sets, but perhaps I should not try too hard to train my eyes to recognize it, so as not to spoil my future viewing pleasure...?

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

LCoS screens, unlike ordinary LCD rear-projectors, are not subject to the screen door effect, so for some buyers they're the best choice for micro-displays.

I have the older, 1 HDMI input version of the JVC H-DILA (in the 56" size) My nephew bought a 42" Samsung DLP set a few months after I bought my JVC. In terms of picture quality it is pretty much a toss-up, since I'm one of those people who basically doesn't notice the rainbow effect. Note that this is after both sets were tweaked with Digital Video Essentials. Out-of-the-box neither of them looked great, because the factory settings were so bad.

That's one reason it is almost impossible to make a worthwhile comparison in a big box store. All the TVs look like crap. Plus chances are that in your home you aren't going to be watching the set with bright, unfiltered sunlight coming in through your front door or under several dozen blazing florescent light fixture or from four feet away. [​IMG]

At best you can get an idea of the comparative brightness and visible detail. Even out of the box the 1080p Sony SXRDs and JVC HD-ILAs are visibly sharper than similarly maladjusted 720p sets displaying HD material. You just have to decide for yourself if that somewhat sharper image is worth the substantially higher price. When I was shopping the 1080p JVC wasn't out yet, and the first Sony SXRD (in 50" and 61" sizes, slightly smaller or bigger than I wanted for my space) was so much more expensive that I was able to buy a the JVC and a 32" flat-panelf for the bedroom instead and still keep a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket.

If you have a higher-end electronics store or HT showroom you'll have a better chance of seeing sets that have been at least consumer-level calibrated (with Avia Guide to Home Theater or Digital Video Essentials) and thus present a more reasonable basis for comparison.

Regards,

Joe

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I can only say that I get gasps from neighbors watching HDTV on my JVC HD-ILA 52" set. It is the best purchase I ever made.