newbie thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KevinCAR, Oct 11, 2005.

1. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

I have been out of the home electronics for a long time and am just getting back into it. I need a suggestion for a low price receier to get. I am about to have athena 10" sub and athena bookshelf speakers for the front to begin with. I will eventually will add a center channel and 2 rears as i can afford it as i have a family to support so i dont always have the extra money i used to have. So what are some good receivers for a low price, in other words what would be the best bang for my money for a entry level receiver. At this point i dont need 7.1 , 5.1 will be fine and it will also be used alot for listening to music too. Thanks!

also I am from canada so the really cheap deals you get i dont ever see here.

2. RyanSmith

RyanSmith Auditioning

You need to be specific in a forum when you say entry level or not a lot of money. To me entry level starts at $900.00 at Best Buy entry level starts at $149.00 and to a lot in here you just don't buy anything until you can buy in seperates. So given that, my suggestion is a Yamaha receiver, the sound processor is good in their receivers but there power is so-so. But you will always have the option to add additional power amplifiers at a later time. Purchase a descent "power" receiver and not so good on the sound processing, and you will just have to start from scratch next time. Yamaha RXV-1500 sells for USD $899 msrp. They have other models that are cheaper and would still work in the $499 range.
    Good luck

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Kevin,

Look into the Panasonic sa-xr55, its all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that this puny-looking, $250 ten-pounder effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new, not to mention my Marantz 5400 that's 3x more.

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...1&page=1&pp=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it’s a whole different animal!

4. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

thanks for the info greatly appreciated!! Sorry i should have said im looking in the 250-300 range would like better but just cant afford anything more. Thanks all!

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

well if you want maximum savings, you can get the Panny from Amazon.com for $230 shipped, zero sales tax. They also have a very nice return policy.

6. John S

John S Producer

Only down to 80hz on the cross would be a deal breaker for me personally.

But aside from looking at that product. The Pioneer 1014 gives a lot of bells and whistles for the money.

Look at Harmon kardon's ebay store. They throw out some great deals from time to time as well.

This one is pretty nice in that price range:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...pno~506000.asp

I guess I'd have to search and then search some more to find a maximum bang for buck in that range.

I really like the Yamaha 5890 these days, but it is over your budget.

Most products in this calendar year will be 6.1 / 7.1... Not even sure of any 5.1 models being current models.

7. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Me and John are thinking kinda alike on this one. My first suggestion would be to check H/K's ebay store for a refurb, next up would be the Pioneer and my last choice would be a digital Panny but at 250-300 dollars they will all provide great bang for your buck.

8. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo 503 is a great entry-level receiver.. good bang for buck. See cnet's review here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Onkyo_TX-SR5...-31431599.html

Can be had for about $260 shipped. If you don't mind refurbs, its predecessor (502) can be had for about a $100 less from ecost or ubid.

I like HK's AVR235 too. refurb model, as suggested by others, is available on ebay and will fit your price range.

9. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

so with the 80hz what does this mean it will only do cutoff for the sub at 80hz and no lower? What about adujsting the crossover on my sub to 60 to get it or am i way off, like i said its been along time since ive gotten back into home electronics and i still am using a 7 year old pioneer that doesnt even have a sub out or a center channel option.

10. John S

John S Producer

Well you can do that, but it will only send 80hz and above to the mains. You would have a gap.

There are way around it, but nothing really beats the convinience of using the sub/lfy out on a pre/pro or AVR.

11. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

what about just switching the sub to 80hz to match the spears but then again my mains and sub actually should be set at 60hz maybe a different amp?

the only prob i am in canada and shipping and duty charges will kill me on all the great us deals.

12. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

what about this receiver?Pioneer Dolby Digital Receiver (VSX-D815-S)
    doesnt sound to bad same price as the panasonic, dont know about the sub freq cut offs though.

13. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Kevin,

yeah that 80Hz crossover bugs me too, I'd love to have 60Hz or even 40Hz one with my Ascend 340s.

The thing is, the bass provided by the Panny is so tight and quick that my 340s actually sound great set on "large"---was watching the Norah Jones "Live in New Orleans" DVD tonight and they were great. With my analog Marantz and NAD separates the unfiltered low bass often would sound kind of boomy and thick on the Ascends.

Of course if I listened to bass-orgy rap or house music it might be too much for the 340s though, lol.

The best sounding analog receivers in your price range IMO would be refurb HKs from Harman Audio on eBay (full original HK warranty) and refurb Marantz from accessories4less.com (1-year Marantz warranty). The Onkyo 502/503 and Pioneer 814/815/1014/1015 would be eaten for lunch by the Panny if you value SQ over gadget geek features...buy either of them and do an AB comparison at home against the Panny and you'll see what I mean.

14. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

I think an 8ohz would be ideal with these bookshelf speakers any lower would make them work harder , put a bigger demand on the rec. and possibly cause distortion,at 8o cyccles you can't tell where the bass comes from in a properly placed sub. all this of course assumes you have a powered sub, I personally would set the sub at it's highest crossover point and let the rec. do it.