1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamZ, Sep 2, 2001.

1. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

System in question:
    Denon 2801 Receiver
    paired with
    Definitive Technology Pro Cinema Speakers
    Background:
    When the audio guys came to my house to setup my system they wired it in the following way
    RCA cable to the Left and Right Subwoofer jacks connected with a Y - Cable to the single plug Subwoofer out on the Denon Receiver
    My subwoofer also has a single LFE jack underneath those two RCA jacks. (which isnt being used)
    Question:
    Should I just use that single LFE jack on the back of the subwoofer instead of the method that they used? Should I use both? Should I keep it the way it is? Whats the difference between the two methods?
    I use this sytem for DVD movies as well as cds and mp3s
    Thanks in advance for your help and patience

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Your subwoofer has a single RCA for connection to a single LFE out (or subwoofer out) and also has a stereo pair so that the sub can get both channels from a stereo pre-out source. When that is done, the sub sums the two channels then amplifies that. In your setup, you have given the sub two identical signals to sum which will give the sub about 3dB of extra signal. If you switched to a single line to any of the three (R,L, or LFE), and trimmed the sub level up 3 dB, you would have the same result as you have now. Just leave it as is.

3. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

Not really sure if I have a switch. Denon's instructions are not up to par.
    What I do know is this:
    If I set all of my speakers to "large" and "yes" to subwoofer it takes me to menu that contains the word "LFE"
    Currently I have all of my speakers set to "small" and "yes" to subwoofer. Under this setting the submenu does not appear.
    In the instruction manual, it states that my setting is best for most setups.
    It's just that I've heard so much about this "lfe" stuff that I want to make sure that I'm getting the best experience in this big newbie sized investment that I've made.

4. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

You're set up correctly. Enjoy!
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Sean is right, I forgot to tell you something important. Your sub has its own crossover that you want to defeat. Some subs have a switch to cut it off, and some use alternative input jacks. Yours may be set up such that signals into the "R/L" jakcs are processed by the crossover, and signals fed to the single "LFE" are not. If this is the case, you want to change to a single cable into the LFE jack. Check your sub manual about bypassing the crossover inside the sub.