1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie sub question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMM, Sep 7, 2001.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

Can someone explain this to me in somewhat of layman's terms? (FYI: room=1300cf, subs calibrated w/AVIA).
    1) I have an Infinity BU-120 sub. It sounds OK, not as much impact as I would like.
    2) I borrowed a Velo CT-120. It sounds better, getting closer to the impact I would like.
    3) I'm considering an SVS 20-39. From what I've read, I'm hoping it will give me the impact I would like.
    I can appreciate that there are many factors that influence the quality of a sub's output, and I don't want to get into that. I am more interested in how (or not) the following figures from Tom Nousaine correlate to points 1 thru 3 above:
    infinity bu-120: 100db/32hz, 90db
    velodyne ct-120: 101db/20hz, 87db
    svs 20-39cs: 109.5/20hz, 105.8db
    To put it another way, how do T Nousaine's figures above correlate to my unscientific findings that the velo has more impact than the infinity; and that the svs will blow them both away?
    Thanks...

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the 20hz output of the 20-39cs was 91dB(105.8 was recorded at 25hz).
    remember, that's not maximum output...but max output using a 10% thd limit. THis has little to do with the frequency response of a unit.(TN notes that too...usually nearfield and at the listening position).
    Generally, the lower and flatter a subwoofer can play...the more *tactile/impactful* it will seem. Another key issue is the subwoofers ability to maintain it's response signature as the volume levels increase. A subwoofer that might measure flat to 20hz at 90dB...could show a severe rolloff an octvae higher(40hz) when the SPLs are increased to more HT representative levels.
    TV