What's new

Newbie: Struggling with Projector Throw Ratio (1 Viewer)

NShipley

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
Howdy. I have a dedicated media room in my house that is approximately 13' x 17'. I plan to put a 120" screen on the 13' wall. The room has ceiling plugs / wires already fixed in a certain spot about 15' back from that wall and I would like to hang a projector there. I am really struggling to figure out if the projector I purchased will work in that configuration. I bought the projector via a black Friday deal. Can you help?

Here are the projector specs:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd43212.pdf

I was looking at the throw ratio range and this is all foreign to me. At 15' back from that wall, will this particular projector be able to zoom in enough to "only" project a 120" image?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
That projector on a 120" screen should be at 11'7". The farthest distance to still work on a 120" screen would be 12'9".

At 15' away, the smallest screen size would be 140" and you would be getting close to it not being bright enough.

Brian

NShipley

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
Brian - thanks for the help. I found a site that allows you to calculate all of this stuff and that is exactly what it told me so thanks for the confirmation. With the tip of the lens being 12'9" from the screen will brightness (or lack of) be a concern? This room has no windows so it is pitch black. The projector advertises you can have it project over a 300" image at like 35 feet out. Which seems crazy to me. Thanks again for the response. Very helpful.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
At 12'9" it should be fine for brightness. Before you drill any holes for the projector mount, set it up and shine it on the screen to make sure it's exactly what you want. Then you can use a plumb line to find the mount location. I also make sure to line up the center of the lens to the center of the screen. Don't just center the projector because the lens may not be perfectly centered.

I had a similar situation where I had to mount my projector back farther than I wanted to. After doing all the calculations I opted to upgrade to the Epson 3700 to get what I needed.

Enjoy you theater room when you get it done, we love watching movies on ours.

Brian

NShipley

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
All great points and tips, thanks. Yeah I was hoping to mount it a hair further back than 12'9" but I'll deal with it. Hoping to get this done over the next week or so. Just need to buckle down and do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks