Newbie--Starting plans for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Mitchell, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Jon Mitchell

Jon Mitchell Auditioning

I'm very new to this whole thing, but an going to try to put something together in the family room of my house. Currently I have a small 12x10 upstairs bedroom where I have a fairly cramped HT. Bought a Sony DVP-S560D DVD player and Sony 5.1 satellite speaker system. I took a 20 inch wega tv and used it to project an image onto a 60"x60" screen using a box made of cardboard and a lens mounted on top of the TV screen ( you may have heard of this system before, usually called "100 inch tv") the parts to do it are only about $20, and for the money we actually got a viewable picture. I now have become a lot more pickier and want to soon invest in a used LCD projector so I can get a much more crisp picture. I'm going to move my system when I get the projector into our family room which is approx. 14'x20'x8' with a beamed ceiling. I'm going to work with my current speaker setup of two paradyme floor speakers for my mains, then the center, sub, and surround speakers that came with the Sony ht package. I already have two big lane recliners in the room and am working on other seating arrangements. Also, once I get a projector I'm planning on upgrading to a 8'x6' screen or maybe a 92"x52". I am open to all suggestions and questions as too how to go about planning, as I have mentioned before I am very new to this and really don't know much, so also any ideas you can give me about possible low end projectors, screens, amps(and whether I really need any) are all welcome [​IMG] Thank you for your time

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

This isn't exactly on topic however... I invented the 100 inch tv!! Not really, but when I was about 8 years old, 22 now, I drew up plans for the projection tv. I got some lenses from old slide projectors and I used a small 4 inch black and white tv as a source. The problem was the image was reversed. I tried to get my dad to help me patent the idea, but he said it was silly. Oh well... Later that year I invented a 3 door vehicle, specifically a truck. He turned that idea down as well. Oh well....
    How does it work? I have an apartment and a small tv and would love to give it a try.
    Jon

3. Jon Mitchell

Jon Mitchell Auditioning

It's definetly worth a try, after a lot of adjusting I was able to get a pretty good picture, you probably won't get anything perfect and you will need to cut off all incoming light to get a decent picture. The only time you will really notice the problems with the picture is during really dark movies

4. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell