newbie starting his journey

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by NeerajC, Apr 11, 2006.

1. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

well guys,

i finally decided to build my home-theater and wanted some of your opinions. the room is 11x22 and is the lower part of a split-level so light will not be an issue.

the equip will be a infocus sp5000 with a yamaha ysp-1 and the screen will roll back into the ceiling.

i don't want dark colors in the room cause i still want to use it for other activities. i still haven't picked the colors for the walls so ignore the blue color.

Click link below:

Theater Design

i'd love to hear your opinions on this setup.

thanks,
    neerajc

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I'm sure you're aware you'll need to block out as much light as possible when using projector. Are you buying the Infocus 5000 mainly due to the low price? Because it has not gotten very good reviews. I would not buy that projector. What is your budget just for projector?

3. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

If you are aiming for a "true home theater" then I would make the following suggestions.

I would scrap the Infocus 5000 as mentioned above it really lacks for true home theater. If cost is an object (and it usually is for most of us) there are other projectors that are around the 5000 in price give or take. The AE900, Z4, 4805, just to name a few that perform much better than the 5000.

Also the "all in one sound bar" is a neat concept in theory however they usually lack in application. They do have their uses, however for a true home theater a 5.1 -7.1 surround system will give that theater experience.

What are some of the "other uses" that you are planning on? Just curious may help in giving you suggestions.

For you setup maybe a nice 50" plasma TV may be better suited to your viewing needs.

For a projector it is not absolutely necessary to have your walls dark, but it does help in cutting down on reflected light. Ever go to a "light colored" movie theater? There is a reason it is dark in there (and not just so you can smooch on your significant other) it is due to the reflected light. If you use lighter colors then I would go to a satin or other similar low gloss finish to help with the light situation.

Well hopefully we have helped and provided some good info and you do not feel scorned or beaten with the suggestions.

Just remember that is all they are suggestions and what matters in the end is that YOU are HAPPY with the result of your room.

Just my .02

Rick

4. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

thanks for the replies guys.

the reason i'm buying the projector is mainly for the price, but also for the reviews. i've read the reviews on this forum along with various other forums and they seem to indicate that this is a good 'entry level' projector. i do agree that there are better projectors out there; i saw equal amounts of good reviews(mainly from first time buyers) and negative reviews (from experienced people).

as a first time home buyer i'm remodeling the house so my budget is quite tight.

this room isn't a dedicated home theater, rather a family room where i can watch movies/football games/etc and still enjoy just hanging out with friends and family.

i settled on the ysp-1 because of its 'all-in-one' features and most places i looked gave it a favorable review. i currently have a bose (i know, i know) system and now that im better educated i'd like to try something that doesn't take up much space, can be easily concealed and be pleasing on the eye.

again, thanks for the opinions.
    neerajc

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

If your building/remodeling the room, I see zero reason to go with the ysp-1. You can get in wall or in ceiling speakers, and have a _much_ better experience, for little if any more money.

As to the wall color, dark does not need to mean black, or boring. Do a seach on the forum, there is one member who painted his walls with a beutiful faux finish. It's stunning, but also dark enough to work in an HT.

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yep, David Noll, it has six colors and should be in the galleries section, quite impressive!

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Neeraj, cool design. I had to change IMG tag to URL as the image was too large for the forum (129MB compared to the 40MB embedded limit). I agree with everyone above. You will get more mileage out of discrete speakers vs. an all-in-one system that tries to simulate surround sound. You can still maintain stealth using in-ceiling and in-wall speakers (their grilles can also be painted to match your decor).

For projection be sure to check out the other options listed. The 5000 looks like it's running around $1300. You can pick up the other projectors listed aboe for about $1800 on the net (if not less). You will not be able to accommodate the 5000 in your design for a couple of reasons. First, it offers no lens shift according to the specs on Projector Central. In other words you would have to mount the projector with its lens lined up directly with the center of the screen. Secondly, it has a pretty short throw range which would require the projector to be fairly close to the screen. Your mock-up shows it much farther back.

The Panasonic and Sanyo projectors referenced above both offer much longer throw distances than the 5000 so could be placed farther back. The Sanyo offers a very wide range of lens shift (as much as one full screen height above center, or half a screen height above the top edge) so you would be better able to get the projector out of the way. It's also reasonably quiet and includes an auto iris (which the 5000 does not have) to facilitate better black levels.

8. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Another thing I just thought about is if you are going to be using your projector for "normal" TV watching remember that the Projectors don't like to be "flipped on and off" like a normal TV. If you are just going to sit down and watch the news or sitcom or two then the projector is probably not the best option. if you are going to watch TV for two or three hours at a sitting that is much better for the projector anyway. Just be mindful that there is a "limited" bulb life and you want to extend that as far as possible. Some people that have projectors have CRT TV in the same room so that they can do a quickie check of the news, scores, or the game without "firing up" the big gun.

I did not even consider the throw distance, or lens shift problem that was mentioned above. That is a very good point. I am (when ready) going to purchase the Epson 550 it is a very fine projector (unfortunately above your budget or would have put that one in my list to you too), but it has the throw distance and lens shift abilities that will fit my application some of the DLP models I have looked at do not have the installation flexibility I need.

Good Luck and glad we can help,

Rick

9. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

thanks for all the feedback guys, it really has helped me out.

i've decided to wait a little and save up to buy some better speakers and the projector.

the panny 900 seems to be the top contender so i'll just have to patient and save till i can get it. i guess i'll also have to get a new receiver and new dvd player also!

thanks again for all your replies.
    neeraj

10. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

FWIW I think that you have made a good decision to wait......I think that in doing so you will be much happier with your setup and eventual outcome.

Rick

11. JeffCar

JeffCar Agent

Neerajc,

Also be careful to make sure that you save some budget for treating the room acoustically. Half the experience is sound. Even a good sound system placed in a bad room can sound like... well, you get my drift. There are plenty of good posts about DIY treatments.... read and plan.

Jeff

12. ChrisEarnhardt

I am getting a Panny 900 soon, great PJ, great price right now with the rebate. As for colors, you can do some really cool things with dark colors. I just did a charcoal clored ceiling and burgandy walls using a flat latex. You hesitate to think about it, but it's really cool looking. One other guy in another forum has forest green walls which look great. The good thing about it is if you don't like it, you can always repaint it bright again.