Newbie speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Jul 31, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

I'm looking to use JBL S26II for my fronts, and would like to know if there is some rule of thumb as far as how far apart they should be from each other. The reason is this--I have a recessed media/entertainment alcove that's 69.5" wide. Here is a crude ASCII overhead layout (not to scale) of the alcove:
    ****************************|
    ****************************|
    *************|------------| | Living Room
    **Fireplace *|x *Alcove *x| |
    -------------|*****TV*****|-|
    ************ly************ry
    ******************seat
    Given the widths of the alcove and of the S26II (9.5"), is it feasible from an audio quality standpoint to put the fronts at the locations marked 'x' (indicated to show horizontal placement, not height/depth), keeping in mind that there will be an S-CenterII between the two fronts? I could possibly put them at location 'ly' and 'ry' if the fronts need more separation but as you can see, from an aesthetic POV they would look out of place and would throw off the WAF big time, especially if I put the left front speaker right above or in front of the fireplace at location 'ly' (yes, the fireplace is practically right next to the alcove).
    The really sad thing about all this is that my family room layout sucks--left side opens out to nook/kitchen, right side to dining room, so I would imagine that I'll probably never get a really great sounding HT setup, unless someone has some really great ideas on how to overcome a family room that really isn't much of a room in the general sense...
    Thanks!
    Tony

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As long as the grills are flush or sticking out from the alcove, it will probably be OK. You will have to experiment with placement width to see if they are far enough apart. What matters is how far away you are sitting from them, they should be relatively the same width apart as you are away from them.

3. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

John--yes the distance from seating position to TV is approx. the same (or perhaps no more than a foot longer) as the alcove width. I understand that I'll need to play around with speaker placement but if it turns out that I have to place the fronts outside the recessed alcove (e.g. at locations ly and ry), the wifey will shoot it down real quick... :-(. Also note that the right front speaker can't be placed any further away from the alcove than location 'ry'--otherwise it'll be sitting all by its lonesome self in the living room, hence my request for info as to whether or not there was some sort of "formula" as far as speaker width placement, given the info I provided.

Tony