What's new

Newbie - Speaker advice (1 Viewer)

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
I am just beginning to set up my first HT system. Because money is an issue right now I'm basically just adding to what I already have. My wife was given 2 Bose 901 series speakers as a gift from her father a few years ago. One of these were stolen while we were being moved so insurance is giving us another set. So now I have 3 Bose 901's with a Bose center speaker. I know there are scores of people out there that detest Bose, but like I said....I'm using what I have for now. My question is, should I try and get another 901 so that I have 4 plus the center and get a sub (if so,whats a good sub), or should I get 2 different speakers to be my surround speakers (I will still need a sub). I wouldn't be adverse to dumping the Bose for something better but they were a gift....to my wife...from her Dad...and I value my life. Thanks in Advance.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I think the prudent thing to do is to stick with the 901's. I take it your father in law also gave you the equalizer or the insurance made good on it? Rather than get another 901, I'd look to sell the odd one on ebay. Someone is bound to be looking for just one 901 and you might fetch a fair price for it. Do you plan on putting those on stands or hanging them from the ceiling?

As far as your other questions, if you could provide additional information regarding the room size, the receiver, discretionary income, I'm sure some choices could be presented. You could also contact Bose (1-800-999-2673) and discuss your situation with them to see what they recommend to complement their 901's. Likely they'll suggest their own speakers but you can either accept that advice or bounce it back here.

That was a generous offer by your wife's father and it's good to keep in mind that people have got a lot of things to deal with these days instead of being saddled by debt to satisfy their own wants and prejudices. There is something to be said for internal harmony in the household, don't you think?

JohnnyCorona

Agent
Always best to stick to the same speakers, might be hard to find only 1 tho. I would consider using the 3 u have up front, using 1 as the center. Maybe use your current center as a center surround, then get a couple matching surrounds.

Johnny

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
Now I have a new little wrinkle. I have a Sony STR-DE685 reciever (provided by insurance for a stolen kenwood rack component) and after talking with both Sony and Bose I hvae determined that I can't use the Bose equalizer with the sony reciever. Also Bose recomended the 301 series speakers to complete my surround set up. Unfortunately the active equalizer only works with the 901's and the manual says not to use them with ANY other speakers. So now I'm wondering if I can even use them for surround sound. I definitely plan on getting an SVS 25-31 PCi which will give me the following:

3 Bose 901 Series VI
Sony KV-32FV300
SVS 25-31 PCi
Bose Center Speaker

So now I need a new reciever and quite possibly two rear speakers. Or maybe I will just get a complete 5 speaker set to go with the SVS. I honestly am not sure and would appreciate any and all input/suggestions. I will use the system mainly for movies, but not exclusively. Also, I would like to get a reciever under $500, especially if I'll end up getting 5 more speakers. HELP!!!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks