Newbie speaker adventures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason GT, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Welp, I finally picked up a set of 5 speakers (sub comes later).

Two pairs of PSB Alpha Bs and an Alpha C. I did this when it became apparent that due to the store's stocking situation, buying another pair of Alpha Bs was cheaper than trying to get a pair of Alpha Intro LRs!

Naturally I have questions:

1) I've the wood PSB stands for use of the speakers as mains. I was originally thinking of wallmounting the surrounds, but they're rear ported. will wallmounting make a big difference in use as surrounds? - in use for 5 channel audio? Should I look into getting *high* stands for these guys as surrounds?

2) I have an unusual room configuration, it's basically a 3-sided situation (back of the HT area is open for another 25 or so feet; HT area is about 12*12). Suggestions for a sub? Nothing too crazy, and I'm in Canada, so our loonie isn't worth much, and SVS is out of the question. Guy at one of the stores suggested a 10" sub.

3) I'm still looking for a receiver, but I've got it narrowed down to entry level HK (125 quite possibly) or Denon (maybe a 1403 or 1603). Opinions?

EDIT: I may be able to get an open box Denon 1602 for $499 Can (about $320 USD) but it's lacking an FM antenna -- how hard is this to replace?

Thanks so much, HT (on a budget!) gurus!

J

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Anybody? [​IMG]

3. BrianT

BrianT Auditioning

FM antenna's are easy to get (Do you have Radio Shacks where you live?). In fact you will find after market antenna's usually work better than the ones supplied with receivers.

Congrates on the new speakers. I too am a PSB user. I started with the original Alpha's. Great speakers for the money. I am a big fan of Denon receivers and have successfully powered Alpha's and 600i's with various Denon recievers. I would not let a missing FM antenna discourage me if it was the receiver I wanted and could afford.

Unfortunately I have don't have a complete answer for your question with regard to mounting your surrounds. You are correct in that a rear ported speaker will sound better with space behind the speaker. Would some type suspension from the ceiling work in your room? Or I like the idea of a speaker stand to the side and rear of the listening position.

To answer you sub question I think others will want to know how much $$$ you plan on spending.

HTH
    Brian

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I have the denon 1602 & this was also my first receiver, I still have it & don't plan on upgrading any time soon. Does everything I need it too do. The antenna is no more than a cheapo little wire, should be no problem to replace with any aftermarket type antenna.
    As far as your rear-ported surrounds, I am hardly an expert, but I think they need to be away from the walls, so stands would be a better option.
    As far as the sub, you can't go wrong with the Sony sa-wm40. Others have been experimenting with the partsexpress.com DLS(?) sub for $99.00 but you would have to ask them how they perform compared to the Sony

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys!
    To BrianT: I think there is a Radio Shack in the igloo down the block -- just let me fire up my dogsled [​IMG]
    Seriously speaking, thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.
    J