Newbie!(sorry) Receiver loses center & left channels when volume is increased.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Draper, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Mark Draper

Mark Draper Auditioning

I recently returned back from a 2 day trip to discover my Sony STR-DE475 was not functioning properly. It seems that at low volume levels operation sounds normal, when I turn it up to 15 the center and left channels cut out and are silenced. I've replaced the fuse and tightened all the screws and checked my speaker wires. I've been wanting to upgrade my receiver but can't afford it right now. Any ideas? I realize the error in my ways for buying low end Sony equipment, Oops. Thanks! Mark Draper

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

My sister had one of these and was complaining about the surround sound on her new cheap DVD player. I droped by and found that the center and sub were the only things working. We found the main circuit board fried from some kind of surge.[​IMG] The repair was estimated at $250 and may have more damage. She bought a Onkyo to replace it. Sounds great now.[​IMG]

3. Mark Draper

Mark Draper Auditioning

It's a Sony STR-DE475 with DTS and 5.1 suround. While I'm sure it doesn't compare with most of the equipment owned by site members, it (past tense) suited my needs and budget fine. One small exception, longevity, kind of important. Thanks. M. Draper

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John