Newbie: Sony KP46WT500 & Avia

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chris_jh_moses, Aug 18, 2003.

1. chris_jh_moses

Hello,
    I'm rather new to the whole hometheater thing so forgive me if any questions are obviously stupid or easily answered by searching (I did quite a bit of searching but it's possible that I don't know what to search for to get the desired results). I've read quite a few of the posts here about this set as well as a fair bit of information available around the net and I still have a few questions about tweaking the set/using some of the features, and using some of the more advanced features in avia.

1)I have a thread here: /htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154813 where I posted a few questions about the widescreen modes for this set (posting it here b/c I assume it will get noticed a bit more in a thread about this set vs. the thread about progressive scan)

2)How do I use the more advanced Avia test patterns to calibrate this set - I didn't notice any instructions/what to look for/what to change in those tests

3)owners of this set - what are the tweaks you have found to be most helpful in getting the best pq out of this set/anything that you have found to be helpful knowing about this set in general

4)Has anyone found a way so that the guide mode switches audio to the highlighed channel when passing the sets audio to a receiver? (currently I only get audio on the channel I was viewing when I pressed guide, unless I turn the tv's speakers back on and don't pass the audio to my receiver)

5)Thanks much for any and all input!!

2. chris_jh_moses

ok, figured out part of the problem, I was using widescreen zoom. I thought that the wide zoom mode was only supposed to stretch the edges of the image on the horizontal axis rather then zoom in on the whole image? I played around with some more of the image settings but still couldn't find one that pulls off that feature (I could swear that when I got the set in that's what it was doing to 4x3 material). Input from other owners still appreciated for tweaks/anything else I should know about this set!