What's new

Newbie setup questions (toshiba RPTV) (1 Viewer)

BrianLa

Auditioning
I ordered a Toshiba 42H83 which is set to be delivered this Saturday. I am really happy to have found this forum; it is a fantastic resource.

I've read quite a few of the posts on setting up a new RPTV, but have several questions. First, it seems the consensus is to turn down the contrast on a new set. However, I'm not sure what's considered a low setting? Also, I've heard many mentions of calibration DVDs. Are these readily available at most electronics stores (BB or CC?), would they be in the DVD section or home theater section?

Finally, the cable question. Do people really see big differences between $20 component video cables and $80 Monster Video III's? I bought a set of GE's just as an initial test, but will exchange them if people really feel they'll cause a low quality picture (or if I notice it obviously).

Thanks for any help!

Brian

John S

Senior HTF Member
There is a THX optimizer on many dvd's these days, and it allows for a quite nice basic calibration.

I used the one off of the Indy Jones Box set dvd's.

But lots of titles have it these days.

John S

Senior HTF Member
PS: I own the GE's too, 12' runs, and they seem of decent enough quality. I sure have not seen a reason to change them yet. If your set just happens to be in a high interference area, I think the difference would be way more dramatic.

But, I can more than live with the GE's as of now anyways.
The GE's are not near as bad as some of the ones, I have seen included with various equipment.

The one that came with my HDTV Tuner, was a joke in comparisons.

If you have not taken the GE's out of the box yet, you may want to do so, and sort of gently bend it to get out all the rolled up memory the cable will have a head of time, otherwise it will make it much more difficult to route when you actually go to do so. (I did not do this a head of time, but sure wished I would of)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks