Newbie Setup Question on DD From Sony NC600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael C Hicks, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Michael C Hicks

Michael C Hicks Auditioning

I finally have my HT almost complete[​IMG] !!! Sony SA-WM40 will be here next weekend[​IMG] .
    I have a question. I have a Sony NC600B and a Denon 3200 and I'm unable to get DD output. I have a RS GS Digital Audio Cable hooked between the two, and on the 3200 set up I matched the coax DD with the DVD. I can get DPL but no DD.
    Anybody able to help with this?
    My system also includes a JVC AV32230, BIC DV52 R/C/L, BIC DV32 Surr, RS GS Cables, and Home Depot 16Ga speaker wire. With a Mitsubishi HIFI VCR for $1100 inc tax and S&H.
    Merry Christmas

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Here are some things to try:

1. Put on a DVD known to have DD. Even those that do don't usually use it for menus and special features, so make sure you're playing somewhere inside the movie. On my system, if I put on a non-DD DVD and set the receiver to DD, I get silence.

2. From the DVD menu, make sure you have chosen the DD soundtrack if there is a choice. Note that DD doesn't mean 5.1. It could be mono, stereo, 4 channel, or whatever. However, from your question I take it that you would be happy to get any sound at all.

3. In the DVD setup menu, choose the correct audio out option. On my players, there is a choice between "bitstream" (may be called something else) and "PCM" (may be called something else). Choose bitstream. If Dolby Digital is explicitly labeled, so much the better.

4. Choose the right option on your receiver. Sounds like you already have.

With all of these steps it should work!

Good luck!

3. Michael C Hicks

Michael C Hicks Auditioning

The DVD setup was the problem. Actually the problem was between the chair and the remote.

Thanks for your help.

The Pearl Harbor DVD my wife gave me now sounds great.

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

You're welcome! Sorry about having to watch Pearl Harbor. Can't help you with that problem, but it should go away by itself in a couple of hours.