What's new

Newbie seeking advice (1 Viewer)

Denis!K

Auditioning
Well I guess I got the DIY bug and I'm now looking for some advice. I was originally considering the 18" High Q Tempest design from Adire. However, after reading this site I'm now really worried that its not what I'm looking for. Due to space concerns, the 18" cube 65L enclosure (2.5 cu ft) is about all I can swing right now.

I've done some simulations using WinISD pro and I noticed that the Stryke AV12 is the most accurate with a 65L sealed configuration, at the cost of some SPL loss. The Shiva Mk4 is less accurate, but has about 4 db more volume and the DVC 12" and SAE1204 somewhere in the middle.

I guess I'm looking for advice on what driver to get? Is the AV12 worth the extra $50 + S/H over a Shiva? Is there any other drivers I should look at?

What would you guys recommend for a 65L enclosure? I'm looking for as accurate a sub as I can get, 50% HT / 50% Music which will be paired to Ascend CBM-170s. I'm not really looking for maximum SPL, just good overall sound reproduction?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member

What do you mean when you say 'accurate'? I know of no software that provides this information.

Denis!K

Auditioning
Well, I guess accurate is the invalid word? I'm still new at this, what I mean is that AV12 goes much lower and has a much flatter response curve than the other drivers.

Denis!K

Auditioning
So if I want lower extension I should go with DPL12 at the cost of some SPLs I guess. Should I use a higher amp (like say 380 from MCM) to offset this or is it not worth it?

Would you recommend that I also consider a vented design with a 3" 13-14" length flared port? From my simulations the Shiva and AV12 get about 3-5Hz extension? Or is that just not worth the trouble?

Thanks for all the responses so far, its really helpful! :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you go ported, the box will need to be bigger to account for the internal volume occupied by the port.

Also note that the 65L is the 'net' volume. The box itself will need to be slightly bigger than that, to account for the internal volume occupied by the driver

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Gee Thomas you shoulda suggested he go the Clamshell
Isobaric route as was done in the Rava-II.

Dennis at that Vb, think about the affordable Stryke 1204
drivers. In that sized box and sealed you should achieve
very good results.
You might also consider Adire's HypexP-200 plate amp.
It's SURF circuit would be a nice feature.

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
well that would be similar to the amp...

That design you referenced is a very good
design using a very good 10" driver. And
yes it's a great use of a smaller cabinet.

The actual design I was refering to will
be found on Thomas's AudioWorx, Klone Project
site....look up at his Signature link.

When space is a consideration & Good all
around performance is a goal....Isobaric
designs should be considered. Also don't
over look applying some EQ (boost),
More Watts
a LT circuit...and PR. Brute force &
good engineering can accomplish your goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks