Newbie says WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Nolfe, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Tony Nolfe

Tony Nolfe Auditioning

Greetings all! I have been a long time lurker here and gleaned much info from the posts. Thanks to all!
    I finally have assembled a decent little system and really got "Wowed" last night. After reading some of the posts here I stopped by Best Buy and got the Sound & Vision HT Setup DVD along with the Eagles Hell Freezes Over 5.1 DVD. The wife (Quite pregnant by the way! [​IMG]) rolls her eyes but as usual, "goes along to get along" as they say. She has not had ANY interest in this little endeavor at all.
    Anyway, I get the sys fairly well tweaked out and she comes in and sits on the couch with me. I kill all the lights and we sat there together and listened to the whole concert. The sound was unbelievable. I had no idea 5.1 could make such a truly significant difference. My wife had actually been to that concert and was blown away. It was just really, really nice, ya know? She finally "got it." In fact she was talking about all of the other bands/shows she'd like to hear in full surround.
    She came home tonight with a copy of Saving Private Ryan and we had another great night, at home, on the couch, together. She was very impressed and loved the at home theater experience. She thought the THX demos were too cool and "just like at the movies."
    Right now I have a Sony STR-DE675, Sony DVD player, Klipsch Quintet 5 piece speaker set and an AR 12” powered sub woofer, and a nice, but older GE 27" TV. Very basic, I know, but a great start I think, plus the fact that I have only about $1000 invested is a big plus!
    As far as I'm concerned, I have already got my money's worth! I am hooked! I fear this is gonna be expensive! Now for the TV upgrade...

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Tom,

Bottom line: you are loving your HT, no matter the cost. That's all anyone can hope for in this hobby. Welcome aboard.

Bruce

3. Steven Hallett

tony my wife was riding me a little on the time being spent on the forum,down stairs playing with my system ,then she started to ask questions and watch more movies ,then she asked how the spl meterworked.now i find her patience has improve LUCKY ME enjoy

4. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Nothing like a nice romantic night watching Private Ryan.

Get this - I had a nice Sony 27inch WEGA with my stereo hooked up. Father-in-law gave us a top of the line DVD player. After watching a few movies I decided to get 2 more speakers for a surround system BUT needed a Digital reciever so bought that to.

It was so awesome sounding (had a sub-woofer already) that I felt the TV was not the weakest link SO - with tax's I go and buy a 43 inch rptv. SHEESH!! That FREE DVD player cost me almost $2500!!!!!

Good thing the wife was behine my obsession AND good thing we had little space for anything larger then a 43 incher!