What's new

Newbie says "I Think that I'm Done for now; but feedback/critiques are always welcome" (1 Viewer)

Robemm

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Emm
I started this thread about 20 mins ago; but then got bounced from the site so this one may be a duplicate.
Background:
posted 2 diff threads along same lines as this one. Confusion about HDMI switches; and HDMI switches vs a/v receivers.
We are living in a leased condo (on 2d flr); and will be here approx 1 1/2 - 2 yrs before moving back to E. coast and I'm not sure how insulated these condos are re: floor spkrs "bleeding" through floor to the downstairs unit; and I am reluctant to bore holes in walls to support wall mounted surround sound spkrs. We are (Comcast) cable TV "bundled" (i-net, infinity, landline, and of course cable TV)
We now have a 55" Insignia LED, HDTV (mod #55E790A12 (BestBuy house brand). It is NOT i-net connectable; but the price ($824) was too good to pass up. The HDTV only has 3 HDMI inputs, so I opted for a Monoprice 5x1 enhanced HDMI switcher with built in equalizer & remote (model #8463) instead of a "current technology" a/v receiver.
We have also purchased a current generation (Mar 2012) AppleTV unit (wife has an iTunes acct & an i
Phone), and a ROKU 2 XS unit ('cuz it's got over 300 channels and "stuff" not available on AppleTV); and a SONY BR player model BDP-BX58 that I believe will take the place of my "elderly" Phillips DVD player. We also have a previously purchased Vizio SoundBar that I can add to this "system" (but it's now packed away and I don't remember the model #)
Because of our current living arrangements i.e. a 2d flr leased condo; and the restrictions that implies, I think that I'm done with our entertainment system for now, with the exception of maybe trying to find a universal remote to replace the 5 I now have to use; but as I said, feedback and critiques are always welcome, especially since with the exception of the HDTV, I don't have much money invested yet.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The only thing missing is the sound. Personally, back in the day I wall mounted rear speakers in my condo, and had floor-standing speakers, a center channel, and a subwoofer. I did not crank the sound, but I got good sound.
Other than that, your setup is nice. Lots of content to enjoy, and a great value on that TV.

Robemm

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Emm
Good morning Steve, thanks for the reply.If this condo were "ours" instead of a rental/lease, I'd quickly have wall spkrs mounted; but since the condo isn't "ours", I'm reluctant to drill holes in walls.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks