What's new

Newbie running wires Question... (1 Viewer)

Tim T.

Auditioning
I am doing remodeling right now and I have the walls ripped up pretty good at this point so im Thinking of running speaker wires in-case future Ht setup..

Heres my newbie question... Do each of the wires that go to a speaker have to go directly back to the receiver or can you do it more like you would with electric romex bring one wire 10-15 feet then make pigtails off of it to send it in different directions to the speakers...

btw im using 14 gauge wire

any help appreciated...

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Do each of the wires that go to a speaker have to go directly back to the receiver or can you do it more like you would with electric romex bring one wire 10-15 feet then make pigtails off of it to send it in different directions to the speakers...
I can't imagine what you are trying to do here. In general, each speaker must run directly back to the receiver, i.e. front left speaker to front left channel out (on the receiver), right rear speaker to right rear channel out, etc.

Are you suggesting that you are planning on running two left rear speakers, for example? I suppose if you are planning on running multiple mono subs, your question would make sense to me. However, even in that case, I would run all wires back to the receiver for future flexibility. Heck, wire is cheap. And you don't really want to have splices buried in walls where they might someday fail and you'd have a heck of a time finding/fixing them.

Incidentally, you weren't implying that you would splice Romex outside of an approved electrical box, were you?

Tim T.

Auditioning
ok hehe you pointed out my newbiness.....

first of ty for reply, no i made all the splits running electrical wire inside the boxes, Ive been doing all the electric work last few months (just passed inspection) and I guess my brain was still thinking in those terms... one wire can be split off many different directions in electrical wire but not with speaker wire lol.

so jist is run everything back to the receiver...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks