What's new

Newbie RPTV questions. (Semi long post) (1 Viewer)

Alex_S

Auditioning
Hi and thank you in advance for any help.
I am finally looking to purchase a large screen and have a few questions. I am interested in buying something in the 50-60" range, ideally, in the 2k price range. The unit will be used for dvd playback (HTPC and cable), broadcast viewing and gaming (both pc and xbox).
If my understanding is correct, a RP would be the best choice since I will be gaming and don't want to have to worry about burn in.
First, to avoid burn in, would LCD be the best choice, since I will be gaming?
Personally, I fell in love with the Sony WEGA KDF-70XBR950 70'' LCD Projection TV, but it's way out of my price range. The 60" is very nice as well, and while still out of my range, if I had to, I could possibly squeeze it into my budge. I have heard some negative things about these sets though... as in dust getting behind the protective screen after a few months. I could see this being a major problem. Besides the incredible picture, I tend to like the fact that it's not part of a "cabinet". I have a HT sound system, so I really have no need for any built in speakers.
From the posts here, It seems that Sony and Hitachi are the two top recommended brands, with Sony slightly beating out Hitachi. I haven't actually looked at the Hitachi's yet, but wanted to post and ask for opinions before I started instore viewing.
Also, although I don't use HD now, it would be nice to have a set with a built in HD Tuner.
Right now, Circuit City has a Hitachi 57" HDTV (57F710S)
with built in tuner for $1800. This sounds like a decent deal, but I can't find any posts, reviews or opinions on the forums about it...Here's a link for the Hitachi

All thoughts, suggestions and opinions are welcome and very much appreciated!

Alex

John S

Senior HTF Member
That display is CRT RP.... Not what you want at all if you have burn in concerns....

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As stated in your post, LCD is the best way to go as it will not suffer from burn in. CRT-RPTVs are proned to it if the Contrast is set to high or if you do a lot of gaming. In games you can have a lay out remain on that screen despite what level you are in and that's the cause of burn in. The Hitachi is a great t.v. but for video games I wouldn't recommend it.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Dust getting behind the protective screen panel affects all RPTV's.

Be sure you have all aspect ratio selections when using a progressive scan DVD player (try it in the store with any progressive player) otherwise you will be regretting your purchase within a month.

You probably won't like it if it takes time for the built in HDTV tuner to switch from one channel to the next. (For SDTV you can use a VCR's tuner if you don't like the built in tuner.)

The alternative of front projection is out of the question unless you can darken the room almost to pitch black conveniently.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks