What's new

newbie ? re: all region player (1 Viewer)

AmandaL

Auditioning
Hello,

I have an inexpensive all-region player and for the most part I'm happy with it & pleased with the quality. But there is a problem. Some region 1 and some region 2 discs won't display properly. They play, but they fade and darken continuously as they do so -- almost like an unperturbed sine wave pattern. I can live with it, but it's incredibly distracting and I'd like to get rid of this "feature" if possible.

Is there anyone who can help?

Any help appreciated,

Amanda

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How do you have the player hooked up to your TV? If it is running through a VCR, this sounds like Macrovision.

AmandaL

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply -- I am using a vcr as a go-between because that's the only way I could manage with my various cables & plug options.

The TV I have has no s-video, all it has is the conventional cable-style plug.

Is there a faq somewhere I could utilize to help me on alternative hookups?

Any help appreciated, as always.

Amanda

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Amanda:

If your TV only has the RF input (the cable style plug you mention), you can get an adapter from Radio Shack or Best Buy for about $20. You connect the outputs from the DVD player into the RF converter, then the output from there to the TV. This will eliminate the problem you are having which is, indeed, from Macrovision copy protection.

SMK

AmandaL

Auditioning
Thank you both for your helpful replies, and in particular your patience to this newbie. :)

All is now well, thanks to your help.

Amanda

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks