Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Stewart, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Stephen Stewart

Stephen Stewart Auditioning

Hi! This is my first post but I have lurked the HT Forum for well over a year. I am impressed by how much each of you know and have been a little intimidated until this section for rookiew was created. I appreciate any help to my questions. [​IMG]
    I bought a house that is currently under construction and is in the framing stage. I am wiring it for home theater despite the poor layout for a dedicated room. After I run the wires from my receiver to where the speaker will be placed, what is the best way to put the wire through the drywall? I realize a simple hole would work, but there must be a better way? Any suggestions?
    I intend to wire speakers in three downstairs rooms and use them as the "B" source on my receiver with the "A" speakers being my surround sound in the living room. There will be at minimum 6 small, in-wall speakers that will be run to the receiver. Is there some device that functions as a "Router" that will combine all the wires to each speaker, and allow just one output from the receiver?
    As I mentioned above, I want to intall in-wall speakers for aestetic purposes. I realize I am making a tremendous sacrifice by doing this but would like to know if anyone has experience with any of Polk's i series in-wall speakers? I am young and cannot afford the high $ speakers and have a complete Polk 6 speaker system that I am very happy with. What is your opinion on Polk's i series in-walls?
    Thanks,
    Stephen E. Stewart

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

A partial answer:

The best way to get the wire through the wall is to leave it intact, with enough loose so you can connect the speaker. For a clean-looking installation, get a wall plate made for video with a single round coax connector in the middle and remove the connector, leaving a round hole.

For more flexibility, get a wall plate with banana jacks on it. I think Home Depot has these, as well as other places.

For connecting all the spaakers, you need to be concerned with impedence, as well as with the elctrical connection. Niles make several relatively inexpensive boxes. I think one takes four or so speakers, one 6 or eight, etc. These are passive (no power to them) with a single set of speaker-level inputs and multiple outputs, with switches for the individual speaker pairs.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Welcome!
    To get the wire out of the wall, there are special plates that have binding post, banana jacks or spring clips that install just like an outlet would. Home Depot has some cool but spendy modular types. Parts eXPRESS IS ANOTHER GOOD SOURCE. (CAPS LOCK)
    OOP
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showp...ctGroup_ID=278
    I'll leave the other ?? to people who know...
    - CM

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

One more thing: It's VERY convenient to have a volume control in each room. Very easy to install in new construction.