What's new

Newbie question (1 Viewer)

Hi all. Great forum you have here.

I have a couple of questions. I'm just getting into the home theater spectrum. I have a few items that I've purchased, but now I need to know what exactly I need.

My tv is a HDTV-ready Mitsubishi 55" WS.

I just bought a Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan DVD player. I've read mixed reviews on the player, but I got it for just $99 at Sears. Even if I have to later move this to an old set, $99 isn't bad for any name-brand DVD player.

I haven't had a chance to look at either of these items yet. I just got a new house, and we won't move in for a few more weeks. The tv hasn't even been delivered yet.

The only other input to the tv will be digital cable.

I had someone tell me that it is absolutely necessary for me to get a Monster power surge, a Monster component cable (for the DVD player), and an S-video cable for the digital cable. Is this true? Do I need all of this? This should be around $160 or so.

I don't plan to hook up a VCR or even a surround sound system just yet. Maybe in time, but with a new house, the thousands upon thousands we've spent to fix the house up, and the new purchase of the tv and dvd player, my wife isn't willing to spend the extra dough just yet.

Any help? Have I done okay with the purchases so far? Is the surge protector, s-video and component cable all I need now?

Thanks in advance.

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
As far as the S-Video goes for the Digital Cable, you probably would want to wait first and make sure that the Digital cable box has an S-video output. Here is some info on line conditioning and surge protectors.
If you go with S-Video and Component, you also need to buy Audio cables to xfer the sound.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Richard, welcome to the Forum.

After checking the link above, you'll find a slew of stuff to read in that same file. After log-on these tutorials are accessed in this same BASICS
Area at the top BEGINNERS PRIMER AND FAQs

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
duplicate deleted...is HTF server acting up? I cudnt get in for an hour late Sunday afternoon.

Thanks James and Bill.

James...good advice on waiting, although I think I can check some friends' cable boxes to see if it is S-video compatible.

Bill...after reading your write-up, is it safe to assume that I don't need a very expensive (i.e. very elaborate) surge protector if a DVD player is the only other source besides the tv itself?

Have I done okay with the tv and DVD purchases so far?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Richard,

Most of these Under-$100 surge protectors will give you an addl say, 4 outlets for future plug-in if a buying a receiver, and perhaps a subwoofer if the AC cord reaches. So that's future proof. Just be sure to get one that has the F-terminal pass-thru for the cabletv coax. I prefer Panamax because they seemed to have a more refined sense of proper voltages here.

More "elaborate" may apply to more FEATURES, but you still want the highest level of protection in any case, consistent with your budget, for your nice $$$ tv and RP-56.

Thanks Bill.

In quickly searching the net, and by no means an exhaustive search, I found a Panamax DBS surge protector for $42. (supposedly a $99 product).

Does this sound like it would work? Or do you need more info?

Sorry to keep bugging you about this.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I had someone tell me that it is absolutely necessary for me to get a Monster power surge, a Monster component cable (for the DVD player), and an S-video cable for the digital cable. Is this true? Do I need all of this? This should be around $160 or so.
you do need a power-strip (to protect your gear), component cables (for the progressive dvd player) and s-video cabling (whcih does give a better picture than composite).

however....regarding the brand and type you choose:

the whole accessory issue is a pretty good debate and often results in some heated comments.

some swear by the expensive stuff, others (like me) think that the less expensive stuff works just as well.

i always recommend people go and experiement for themselves. by yourself some inexpensive (but good quality) cabling like radio shack or acoustic research. then get some more expensive stuff (like monster), and if you're really feeling gutsy (and can return it) some high-end cabling.

then, just change out the cabling and see for yourself. if possible, have someone else change the cabling. that way, you'll have less bias towards what you see/hear.

in my tests, i did see a benefit from the cheap skinny cabling to radio-shack, but didn't see enough of an improvement to jump to the more expensive monster.

but that's just me. if you see a benefit, then the choice is obvious. but why spend the money up front if you don't need to.

Bill...I edited the top after you posted. I guess I'm too slow on the draw. Here's the repeat:

In quickly searching the net, and by no means an exhaustive search, I found a Panamax DBS surge protector for $42. (supposedly a $99 product).

Does this sound like it would work? Or do you need more info?

Sorry to keep bugging you about this.

Ted...thanks for the info. I guess it's obvious I'm trying to go inexpensive on this. I guess I'm just fearful of my wife that much. I have a friend that swears by Monster, but he admits he's very brand loyal.

Anyone ever checked ebay?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Richard,
No bugging involved; just ask the forum anytime...
I cud go into my spiel here: Do you get electrical storms more than 3-4 x year; Are your power utility lines outside on a pole or underground; Do you live more than a mile from your local utility substation. These are some of the external surge risk factors that suggest a more robust unit. And remember, a BIG surge may take out any of em; they are designed to fail but protect your gear.
The Panamax you found likely is the POWERMAX DBS+3. That's a lower grade than the Panamax MAX series, which I'd prefer for handling higher levels of surge/spikes plus built-in, shut off protection for undervoltages and overvoltages.
Surge protectors are the stepchild in HT; get little respect and they ain't sexy. But if they work ONCE, man, what a relief. Sure, a fried amplifier circuit board can be replaced, the surgemaker has a warranty/guarantee, but who wants the down-time hassle?
bill

Thanks, again, Bill.

I think I should go with the Max series. We have enough storms here for sure. I know a few people that have had things fried lately, albeit things like microwaves and smaller appliances.

For $40-50 more, it's worth the risk.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Yeah, that's a top dog, and it's future proof if you ever go for a satellite system. Your price beats the usual online retailer Link Removed at $75.
bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks