Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Z, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Matthew Z

Matthew Z Auditioning

Hey everybody!

Im new to HT and making my step up from a Home Theatre In A Box, I just upgraded my Reciever from a SONY STR-DE425 to a Pioneer VSX-D811S, I want to take full advantage of the optical and coaxial inputs the unit has!

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some quality TOSlink, Coaxial audio, and S-video cables that won't break the bank.

I want to Hook up My DVD: Sony DVP-S530D, DBS Reciever & PS2, any comments would be appreciated

Regards

2. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

I'm sure people will quibble with this, but in general the quality of cable you use for digital audio makes little or no difference.

Pretty much any RCA cable will serve as a coaxial audio cable, the toslink things are more expensive. Sonically, the results should be identical.

In terms of video cables, there can be more noticeable differences, but if you're not stringing cables long distances, you'll probably be fine with a decent Radio Shack s-video cable, or something of that quality.

If your set can handle it, then a component cable would be better.

If you're on a tight budget, then interconnects are probably the last place you should be spending big money IMHO.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Hi Matthew, and welcome to the forum.
    Some commonly recommended inexpensive cable brands are Acoustic Research and Radio Shack (Gold Series cabling).
    Acoustic Research Pro cables can be found inexpensively at www.accessories4less.com.
    For any optical cables, I'd get the AR Pro version instead of Radio Shack (that's the only RS Gold Series cable that's not well made, IMHO).
    You can get further ideas for inexpensive cabling by searching here on the forum, maybe using keywords "Acoustic Research Radio Shack" (such threads will include those terms) or "inexpensive cable" or "cheap interconnect", etc.
    Have fun,
    Mike

4. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

I would have to disagree with the following quote

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

actually, that's impedance and not resistance. toslink, in the commonly available plasic fibers, does not need to be expensive, and unless you're running very long lengths is quite acceptable from a theoretical point of view. there are even types that have 'crush proof' exteriors such as http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm
    The first thing i'd suggest is to simply go with the cables you presently have, assuming they're not broken or defective in any way. Aside from that, the middle of the road AR's seem quite capable and as you go up in price and model, they continue to look more professional. As to audible sonic differences amongst the many cables that are out there, that's highly debateable assuming they meet proper design criteria.

6. Matthew Z

Matthew Z Auditioning

Thanks for the info on the cabels, accessories4less order should be here next week

—Matt