What's new

Newbie question (1 Viewer)

BleedingBlue

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hello all, I am new to the home theater experience and have questions. I visited California this Christmas and went to my brother's house. He had an unbelievable home theater. When he played a movie it was like you were in the theater and I want to get the same. He spent close to $15,000 on it. Now I don't have the same kinda budget, but would be willing to spend maybe about $3,000 over time. My question is what kind of components are needed to achieve that kind of sound? I know a receiver and speakers are needed along with a subwoofer, but he had other components in there that I don't know what they were. Didn't have much time to talk to him about it. I currently have a Samsung 40 inch LCD, but will be getting a 52 inch Sony LCD soon and moving the Samsung to the bedroom. I also have a PS3. I don't like having wires going everywhere, so wireless would be preferred, but if the wires deliver better sound then I'll live with it. Any answers are appreciated along with brand names of the better equipment.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does your budget include things like seating or is it just for electronics?

For speakers you need to audition a bunch before buying. Or you can take a chance and buy from an internet direct seller like Hsu, SVS, AV123, or Elemental Designs. Also these companies sell subs and I recommend you get your sub from one of them.

Receiver - Yes you need one. What features do you want? HDMI switching? High def sound decoding?

Wireless - You want wires. There are numerous ways to hide them depending on your house/room. All of my wires are run through the walls and attic.

Finally, talk to your brother about his system. Get details and post them here. If you want something similar but at a smaller budget then we can help you buy something.

-Robert

BleedingBlue

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
No, this is strictly just for electronics. And I am completely new to this so what HDMI switching and HD sound decoding is I am not sure. Perhaps if there was a link to something I can read that would let me know that would be great.

Devilish21ca

Agent
Real Name
David Sheedy
So: Most recievers these days take care of both your audio (speaker/subwoofer) and video needs. You wanted less wires? You want a reciever that has HDMI outputs. That will carry the audio and visual signal from your PS3, Blu Ray player (you ARE getting one, right?) and cable/satellite box INTO your reciever (each with it's own HDMI cable). Your reciever than 'switches' between inputs and sends the signals to your TV, all through one cable (your audio going to your speakers through speaker wire, of course).

Onkyo and Denon both make excellent recievers at affordable prices. Monoprice.com is the place to go for HDMI cables, speaker wire, etc.

BleedingBlue

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So is the best thing to do is get the equipment seperate or get one of the "package deals" that you see in most electronic stores where they come with the receiver, speakers, and subwoofer together? I have the knowledge to achieve a good picture it's the sound that I have questions about. I do plan on getting a Blu Ray player eventually but for now am using the PS3.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Get speakers & sub separately at that budget level. The ones that come in packages with receivers tend to be compromised, they are designed more for small size + low cost than for best sound quality.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Forget all the new fancy audio formats at your budget level... a good 5.1ch system playing good old DD or DTS soundtracks can sound incredible. Personally, I would strongly consider NOT getting the 52" display and instead look at a projector. You can get some incredible images for

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks